Duck Water in Winter

johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)September 10, 2009

I am looking for ideas for keeping water available for the ducks into the winter. My white pair absolutely love going into the kiddie pool, but once things start freezing that's not going to be very workable. Are there workarounds out there?

Thanks.

Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laturcotte1

I have two geese that love their pool but come winter, we live up north, it gets closed down. I use a heated water bucket inside their house and let me tell you it is struggle everyday. They love to dip their heads way down in the bucket and pull the water up and all over themselves. When I go in they will have droplets of ice on them and the shaving around the bucket will be frozen solid. The ice even forms on the top and handle of the bucket! Every couple days I have to take a shovel and scrape the ice out! The buckets need to get filled every night and sometimes in the mornings.

I have never figured out how to solve the ice problem just keep a nice dry bed for them to groom and dry off in when their done!

On very special days when the temperature gets above freezing I have a small tub that I bring outside and I fill it with water. It's small so they have to take turns in it but I carry about 4-5 buckets of water from the house and fill the tub and they go crazy.

The most wonderful thing is when the weather warms around March and I can take the pool out for the season fill it and watch them take their first bath. They really hate to be dirty.

Last year I bought a very large black rubber feed dish and put the bucket in that, it caught most of the water and cut the ice down quite a bit.

Good luck
Lee Ann

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 12:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

Thanks, Lee Ann! Sounds like my setup is similar to yours. Off to find a heated bowl for those silly quackers...

--Johanna

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 7:44AM
More Discussions
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™