my new baby duckies

sozavacSeptember 9, 2010

so i just got 2 ducks from the feed store, they are starting to get feathers on their tail, mixed in with the fluff. ive been reading up on caring for and raising ducks but i still have a few questions..

1) when can i let them swim?

2) when will they start warming up to humans because mine are really sketchey around people

3) when or can i let them swim around in my pool?

4) is concrete bad for their feet?

Please help, i am trying to raise these cuties the best i can!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

This is my biggest complaint about farm stores.How hard would it be to make copies of instructions to go home with new duck owners>
Anyway If you cover the cement with lots of paper then straw it is ok,I only did it temporarily but they must have water and I needed to change water and bedding three times a day with as many ducks as I had. Heat lamp a must. Most people will say No swimming for at least 3 weeks unless they have a momma duck to share her oil with them.
READ READ READ about them. they are fragile lil critters

they should be able to go under heat lamp or get away from it,the baby pen was made with 4 old closet doors

have fun!!!!
Tanya

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 8:20PM
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

If you want them to be friendly, then you have to put in the effort now to convince them that you are their friend. It won't happen naturally -- you need to handle them, feed them delicious things by hand, spend time with them so that they understand that you mean good things.

I love having ducks! I expect you will, too!

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down on this page and you'll see my Wacky Quackers!

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 8:23PM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

You probably aren't going to turn them into lap pets, but if you toss something good to eat around your feet a couple of times a day and call them, with whatever call you intend to use for the rest of their life, they will soon be rushing to you whenever you call them.

That will make them a lot easier to pen up at night.

You are talking about a swimming pool? You do know that they poop as they swim along? They poop a lot and their poop is nasty stinky stuff.

I wouldn't let them swim until they have their feathers. Ducks don't actually need to swim, so it won't hurt them to wait.

You need to get them the type of waterer that they can't get anything into, except their bill. Otherwise their drinking water will be filthy all the time and that is not good for their health.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 4:23PM
sumac(SE MI)

"You need to get them the type of waterer that they can't get anything into, except their bill. Otherwise their drinking water will be filthy all the time and that is not good for their health."

I would edit the above to say except their head. They need to be able to rinse out their eyes and nostrils.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
Sponsored Products
GAN | Mangas Collection Mini Caramelo MM1 Rugs
YLiving.com
Elk Lighting 3 Light Vanity in Mocha & Antique Amber Glass
Beyond Stores
New Haven Three-Light Chandelier
$149.98 | Bellacor
Two King 200TC Pillowcases - WHITE/NAVY
$69.00 | Horchow
Eve Dining Chair in Red
| Dot & Bo