Baby Chick

DesertchickSeptember 4, 2013

I have a hen who has been wanting to become a momma for some time now. She is sitting on her second set of eggs (first set didn't make it) and one of her eggs that was due to hatch today I believe has pipped as I have read on the forums here. This was this morning, however I do not hear it peeping and there has not been anymore progress? I have no clue on what to do? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sumatra(6)

Just leave the hen to do her thing. Hatching takes a while. The only reason you would have to bother a broody hen alone is if she's laying too many eggs and can't cover them all, or the eggs are infertile, which is obviously not the case since they're pipping.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Desertchick

Thank you for your reply Sumatra. Unfortunately the baby chick did not fair so well. I did check on it later that day and there was no more progress and a very bad stinch coming from the egg. Left it until the next morning. I do check on the eggs daily just to take out any new eggs that are not marked. I suppose I will let mother nature take it's course. This chicken just wants to be a momma so bad it's hard for me to watch when the baby chick does not make it. Two eggs and two dead? Hopefully the four left will thrive once they come to their 21 days~

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™