Nutrition for Molting Hens

nhsuzanne(z5 SW-NH)October 26, 2009

My hens are in serious molt right now and their combs are looking very anemic. I have been adding a high protein dog food to their feed 3 times a week plus adding electrolytes to their water. They get several hours of free range time so lots of bugs and grass. What else can I give them to make them look less pale?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fancifowl(5Pa)

Sounds good, what you are doing. millions of chickens get by on just laying mash/pellets. The combs will get nicely red as they attain their new plumage.

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 5:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Mine are molting too, as they do every year at this time. They look awful, poor babies. :) Molting and growing new feathers takes LOTS of energy and protein, my birds tend to have a lower activity level during molt, and spend more time standing around grumpily. The lower activity level may be contributing to the paler combs/wattles.

Also, check them for signs of mites and worms, both of which can weaken the bird and cause anemia (especially the mites). Extra protein is good, plus a little bit of fat--it helps with any dry skin issues.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™