weed identification

growernut(4/5 NEBR)October 17, 2008

i'm trying to figure out what weed i have in my hay ground. dont have any pic's so will describe as best i can. the "seed" of this weed is inside a thin walled shell and the seed is one big round seed. it's hard to describe what the outside looks like, kinda like an old lamp post light almost. does that make sense??

thanks for any help.

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Could it be millet...? Is there one seed her stalk, or many? Any leaves? What does the inside of the big seed look like?

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 1:43PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

On re-reading, it sounds like it could be something in the onion family.

Any smell to the plant?

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 3:46PM
growernut(4/5 NEBR)

found it, i think it's a ground cherry. looks to be the closest thing i can find. thanks Velvet.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 4:50PM
goodhors(z5 MI)

How about Japanese Lanterns? They have a paper type "flower" that is shaped like a lamp light on the streetlight. Seeds are inside. Folks collect the flowers on stems for dried flowers, arrangements in the fall.

Until this year, I had only seen the beige Lanterns, but this year I saw garden Lanterns, which are red. These were a wider, more rounded form of Lantern, in a planted garden. Pretty, but I understand Japanese Lanterns are very prolific, spread easily and hard to get out. I don't plant them, but have found them in uncut meadow fields with other weedy growth.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-chinese-lantern-PLANTS-japanese-lanterns-LIVE-crafts_W0QQitemZ320310266422QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320310266422&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Ebay has a photo of the lantern part at the bottom of this item number, in a red color.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 7:11PM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Sure sounds like the ground cherry which we call a chinese lantern. It is a member of the tomato family and carries some toxic chemicals. In low quantities, it wouldn't hurt your livestock, but if you fed a steady diet of it, you could have problems.

Here it grows on the ditchbanks and is more an interesting curiousity. Doesn't seem to do well on ground that is tilled or where it gets cut off. If it gets thick on the ditch banks, a little 2,4-D will help control it, and Roundup will take it out.

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 3:10AM
More Discussions
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™