Chicken Garden

organic_flutterby(5 MO)October 6, 2008

I have read about an idea for making a small garden patch just for your chickens to scratch around in.

Does anybody here do that? What kind of stuff do you grow in it? What kind of stuff should you not grow in it? Is it attached to the chicken coop? Details, details, details,...please.

Thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seramas

We have a 20'X24' chicken coop that is divided into 12 (4'X8'X6'H) pens. There is a 4' wide isle down the middle. Each pen has a 4'X36' outside covered run. We use 6 pens for 2 weeks (or until it looks close to bare) then switch them to the run on opsite side of coop. We use a mix of wild bird seed and oats that are heavely sewn and watered. The chickens keep it well fertilized. Twice a year it is limed to control soil PH. If you don't over graze it won't need to be reseeded (except where they dig/scratch it bare) until following spring. We also sprout (without soil in the greenhouse) in 1'x2'x3"h plastic trays this same seed mix (about 1-1/2 qts of seed/tray) for the caged breeders. They go 'nutz' when their 2pm treats come. We use about 15 trays/day. It only takes 8 days at 65F for the sprouts to get 5 or 6" high.

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 3:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nelda1234

seramas:

would love to see your set-up and pic of your girls! Would like to read more about your chicken garden!

TIA
Nelda

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™