Older chicken with a hurt leg

catherinet(5 IN)October 23, 2013

Hello! I've been on Gardenweb for years, and didn't realize this forum was here!

I have a 10 and 1/2 year old Easter-Egger. She was limping off and on for a week or two. Then, about a week ago, she couldn't put any weight on her leg.
I moved her to a dog crate so she wouldn't have as much room. She's eating and drinking fine.
I was thinking it might be a sprain. Her foot was looking a little swollen. But I can move her foot all around and it doesn't bother her. But, when I hold her and flex and extend her leg, she flinches. I think its her "elbow".....(I guess that's maybe where the patella is??)
I haven't splinted anything yet. But.....if I think its that joint........how would I even try to splint it?

Sure wish she could tell me where it hurts! :)
Nothing feels broken.
Any suggestions?
I am giving her some aspirin for the pain.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sumatra(6)

10 years old is certainly ripe old age. Congrats on being able to keep her alive that long. :)

First of all, a limping chicken could mean anything from and in between, botulism, being egg-bound, Marek's Disease, bumblefoot, slipped tendon in her hock joint, worms, or just a vitamin deficiency. From what I've seen in my chicken experiences, chickens get probably as many problems as humans.

Also, a pic would be helpful, just to access the overall condition.
It's a very good sign, that she is eating and drinking well.
Chickens are very hardy, and have a great 'will to survive'.

Eliminating couple of things;

Is there a black spot on the bottom of her foot?
If you palpate her rear a bit, under the vent, so you feel anything hard?

Splinting something shouldn't be your first resort.
Adding a teaspoon or two of Apple Cider Vinegar will help keep her resistance up and maintain general health.
If it's worms, you'll need to add a bit of Diatomaceous earth to her feed in order to kill them.
If it can be narrowed down to a slipped tendon, then I'll search out a page in my bookmarks about Chicken Podiatry for you to look at.

Hope this helps. :)

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™