Chicken's safe? need advice

farmerintraining(7)October 8, 2008

I wish I had a photo to post maybe in the next couple of days. Question is..My hubby took a metal table and PVC pipe and Chicken wire and built me a bird cage. When I decided to get my girls I put it in their pen and made it their coop. Their pen has a large net top over it. I go out everyday at dark and close the wire door and lock it with a clamp I have and then let them out everymorning. do any of you think a coon or possum could get in there? I don't want anything to happen to my girls!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mersiepoo(6)

Hi!
Wish you could post a picture. Are the chickens just protected by chicken wire and a lock? If so they aren't protected very much...raccoons and other varmints can go through mesh very easily. You would be surprised! All my birds have a wooden coop, and a wooden door with two wires that keep it shut completely. Is it on the ground? Do you have any electric fence around it?

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 10:10PM
mersiepoo(6)

Hope you can post pictures soon. :)

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 4:59PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Please, PLEASE replace the chicken wire with something stronger, such as hardware cloth. Chicken wire is way too flimsy and predators can tear right through it, as numerous people here have found, to their heartache. Learn from our mistakes. :(

I've got a chicken site that may help, here is the section on coops & runs:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickCoop.htm

I have lots of pictures of my coop & run there, with details on how it was built. You don't mention what their pen is made of...but yeah, not only possums, but smaller vermin such as rats & mice can get right through chicken wire, and carry disease with them, ugh.

Your hubby sounds like an inventive & ambitious guy. :) Enjoy your chickens!

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 2:05AM
ginni77(z 5)

Always assume coons can get in your coop! I made the mistake of thinking they couldn't and lost 23 chickens in one night. Chicken wire just won't cut it. A hungry coon with fresh chicken on his mind can easily push his way thru it. You need to use good sturdy hardware cloth as Velvet said above. And be sure it's stapled down really well...don't leave any gaps or puckers that a coon can get his wily hands in!! If they can reach your chickens, they will kill them, even if they can't get in the coop!

Bookmark   October 11, 2008 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
shihtzu4su
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
ducks mating with chickens???
I went to our local co-op today to gather some supplies...
thinknpink
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™