Can I obtain a land grant to form a public garden or u-pick farm?

njbiologyOctober 18, 2009

Subject: Can I obtain a land grant to form a public garden or u-pick farm?

Hi,

IÂm looking for an educated opinion, guess, or guidance that would require some knowledge of grants  land grants, agriculture grants, etc.

I would like to know if IÂd qualify for a government land grant for either or both of the following purposes:

To purchase land intended to host an extensive, well-designed native botanical garden/arboretum (including an extensive alternative edibles garden/Permaculture) open to the public or, if it is not possible for me to obtain a grant for this reason (being a lay person without scientific credentials or for other reasons?), then IÂd like to know if I could obtain an agriculture grant towards the creation of a you-pick (pick-your-own) fruit farm. Ideally, I would have both of these separate functions on the land.

In both cases, I would set aside 1 acre upon which IÂd build my home; the land would have to be at least 20 acres - in Orange County, New York.

I have what is, to my knowledge, a very extensive, specialized concept for a multi-biotope native botanical garden and educational ecology preserve. IÂm a school teacher but, again, have no relevant credentials that lead me to believe that I qualify for a grant.

So, should I hold-out on buying the land on my own and attempt to seek-out funding? Ultimately, I would literally prefer this to be something open to the public and not just for my own exclusive benefit. In fact, even if I have to purchase the land without a government or state grant, I would still want to form this and open it to the public, including schools, agricultural and ecology enthusiasts; but IÂll want to know that IÂd be wasting my time in expecting my project goal to qualify for a grant before I go ahead make a land purchase on my own.

-Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seramas

You live in area that is rich in Foundations and Corporations that would love to help you with that. Google Foundations in your city and state. To approach a Corporate for support is easily done by placing an ad in the Wall Street Journal. State you are seeing funding and guidance for (state your cause) in (your city-state). Have all responses go to a Box at the WSJ so you can glean out the crack-pots. By placing an ad they know youÂre serious. Be ready to sell your abilities/skill levels you (or your group) have for the proposed project.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 10:39PM
nhsuzanne(z5 SW-NH)

I would love to see how this turns out Steve. Seramas, you sound like you have done this before!

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 8:52AM
seramas

I have my own foundation that was started back in 1972 and use to fund all kinds of projects like this. Now we just fund about 100 new scholarships each year for different local groups/charities.

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™