backyard chickens in Florida

maryld_gardener(5)October 15, 2009

Hi everyone,I am looking for place to move where I can keep a few backyard chickens and have a garden in a town or small city on 1/2 acre or so. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ga_karen

I have a friend who lives in the Titusville area (NASA), she is in a subdivision outside a small town & has backyard chickens. Just one thing though...they have a fenced back yard due to gators in the area...to keep the gals safe. Hers are free range in her back yard.
Your best bet would probably be to contact all the counties in the areas where you are interested to see if they are allowed or what the restrictions are. I don't think she is allowed to have roosters due to their early morning wake-up calls!

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 9:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

I live in Vero Beach and keep 12 ducks and just finished my fresh from the coop breakfast.I have 2 and a half acres.
You must have other ideas about your perfect town besides raising chickens though. Oh and remember ducks are Great layers too and so much fun!Our county says pet 5 chickens with a PERMIT and NO ROOSTERS!
No Gators in my pond so far but bobcats ,GRRRRR!!!
The hawks have not bothered the ducks but chickens are another story. Never get white!
Email me if you like, my husband and son sell Real Estate
on the Treasure Coast. Prices are good.
Tanya

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™