vomiting hern...

beeliz(2)October 1, 2008

is it normal for hens to vomit? I'd never seen it before till today,and I JUST lost a hen to an illness yesturday,,I'm worried something else could be wrong,or am I being paranoid now? regurgitation?? is this normal??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

You sure are having a tough time with your chickens! I'm sorry you lost your hen...

Chickens don't normally barf. Is she showing signs of excessive thirst and drinking constantly? We are having a heat wave with TONS of humidity here, so our birds are miserable. I'm doing my best to keep them comfortable, but they are clearly uncomfortable in this heat. :( So it could be that your hen just drank a little too much, and when she lowered her head next, some water came back up.

If it has NOT been hot and she's drinking like a fiend, it could be a sign of liver/kidney damage. Does she have green poops (another sign of liver/kidney failure)? Has she lost any weight? Pick her up and feel her breastbone. Is she eating and carrying on normally? Was the barfing a one time thing or does she keep doing it? Is she listless or standing around fluffed up with eyes closed?

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™