vomiting hern...

beeliz(2)October 1, 2008

is it normal for hens to vomit? I'd never seen it before till today,and I JUST lost a hen to an illness yesturday,,I'm worried something else could be wrong,or am I being paranoid now? regurgitation?? is this normal??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

You sure are having a tough time with your chickens! I'm sorry you lost your hen...

Chickens don't normally barf. Is she showing signs of excessive thirst and drinking constantly? We are having a heat wave with TONS of humidity here, so our birds are miserable. I'm doing my best to keep them comfortable, but they are clearly uncomfortable in this heat. :( So it could be that your hen just drank a little too much, and when she lowered her head next, some water came back up.

If it has NOT been hot and she's drinking like a fiend, it could be a sign of liver/kidney damage. Does she have green poops (another sign of liver/kidney failure)? Has she lost any weight? Pick her up and feel her breastbone. Is she eating and carrying on normally? Was the barfing a one time thing or does she keep doing it? Is she listless or standing around fluffed up with eyes closed?

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
shihtzu4su
First time hatching Duck eggs!!
Hello-- This is my first time hatching duck eggs. I...
christie71
Duck hiding/disappeared
I have 2 drakes and 2 females (pekin and mallard) ...
meredithmanning2
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Sponsored Products
Woven Olive Hern Rug (7'9 x 11'2)
Overstock.com
Omega Paw Portion Pacer - Stainless Steel - 21006
$24.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™