wheezing hen and meds.

claraserena(4)October 7, 2008

A couple days ago I noticed a Buff Orphington hen was making funny hiccupping/squeak sounds and then realized she was wheezing. I have her in a separate cage that t just brought in the house where it is warm and dry. Her poop is a little thin and whitish. I don't see anything else abnormal.

She is still squeaking a lot and hasn't eaten much. But until I brought her in she was very active and appeared healthy.

I got Sulmet "drinking water solution" and mixed some in her water (2 T/gallon). But it seems like she will get very little medication as it would take her a long time to drink a gallon of water. I don't know how much she has drunk. Is there another form of Sulmet (or other meds--I have read posts suggesting many different drugs)? She is making little wheezing-crying sounds at regular intervals (she's 3 feet away from me now). I just don't understand the dosage for one chicken for this problem. The other chickens seem fine.

IÂm worried about her as she is obviously not breathing right.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengalrn(5KS)

I hate to say that I lost a bird with those symptoms a few weeks ago. She was making that wheezing noise and I could see that her breathing was labored. Otherwise, she ran and ate as normal. Thankfully none of my other birds have any symptoms. I hope someone can answer your question as I would be interested in what I should have done or if it will help. Lori

Bookmark   October 7, 2008 at 11:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nelda1234

claraserena:

Velvetsparrows web site is a good one to go to.

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickhealth.htm

I hope this helps.

Nelda

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™