Why is my rhubarb so sad?

turquoisegardenia(6a Toronto)June 7, 2012

Hey guys- I moved into my current place last fall and was delighted to see the little baby stalks and crinkly leaves of a pretty decent-sized rhubarb patch poke through the ground this spring. However, once it grew to a reasonable height, it just stopped. The stalks never fattened up at all- they're still spindly little things hardly worth harvesting! Now the whole thing is just sort of droopy and lifeless. In an effort to rescue it, I have given it kelp emulsion, backyard compost, vermicompost tea and storebought granulated complete organic fertilizer... I've also scattered organic slug bait to deter the little pests that were taking nibbles out of the leaves. I'm at my wit's end, and considering just harvesting it all and making do with what's there- anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greginnd(Z4 ND)

It may be overgrown. I would be tempted to dig it up, divide and replant in well prepared soil.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 5:04PM
thefarmguy

yes it could need dividing up that seems to promote growth in old plantings,,,perhaps though it is just a young crown.
lawm clippings sure pump it up for next year,,,and lots of any kind rotted manure,,,best of luck

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 11:11PM
oliveoyl3

I have 2 year old rhubarb that does that when we have a dry spell and the soil dries out they flop like that & don't thicken up. Then new stalks grow from the center, so I harvest the outer ones to encourage more new stalks. Mine have plenty of composted manures and mulch, but probably need more consistent moisture and sunshine than they currently have. Also need more time to mature as they were small divisions planted in fall 2009.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:30AM
soonergrandmom

Maybe it is just my monitor, but that doesn't look like rhubarb to me. LOL

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:05PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Your rhubarb appears to be in a bed with other things around it plus a large paving stone up against it. There is Solomons Seal alongside which implies it is in a shady spot too. I think it would be happier in a lighter, moister, dedicated space of its own. It will need lots of rich organic matter (compost, manure etc) and plentiful water. Another possibility it that it is seedling rhubarb and not a named variety. I am afraid I can only sympathise rather than empathize. We have had so much rain that my rhubarb is almost as big as my wrist. The stalk in the sink at the moment is 26 inches long and weighs 15 ounces.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 6:31AM
RpR_(3-4)

Have you fed and watered them?

Rhubarb is tough if it is a very old plant but even then they cannot simply be ignored if one wants them to produce to the utmost degree.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
lining bottom of raised bed for tomatoes
I keep reading advise about lining the bottom of raised...
sommardahl
Growing malabar spinach
I want to grow malabar spinach, but I do not have a...
robert2014 zone 5b
Placement of soaker hoses
Hi everyone :) I just started a new veg patch. I made...
mystmaiden
I really messed up, who can help? Tomato expert needed...
I planted beefsteak and July 4th tomatoes and didn't...
dwyerkg
Greenland Gardener Raised Garden Kit
Picked up 2 of these from Walmart yesterday to grow...
onkloudnyne
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Terracotta/Natural 2 ft. 3 in.
$84.80 | Home Depot
Blue Wave Hot Tubs & Accessories Easy-Off Economy Spa Cover Lift NP5041
Home Depot
Kenroy Home Barre Green Slate Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Swirl Appliqué Bedskirt
Serena & Lily
Polaris Sinks p616 Hand Painted Glass Vessel Sink - P616
$158.00 | Hayneedle
Hebi Arts 12.75 in. Hyla - LPSC046-S
$219.99 | Hayneedle
60" Treated Pine Starback Swingbed
Fifthroom.com
Big Tree Z41544SSF019 Soho Futon with Designer Coffee Bean Super Spring Full Mat
$728.04 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™