my chicken died

tamara_xxooNovember 23, 2007

my pet chicken died this morning but we dont no what of.About a week ago she stopped eating,drinking and laying eggs so we thought she had a cold so we kept her warm then afew days ago she lost all her energy and all she did was sit on the ground and she went really skinny and her comb on the top of her head went purple do you no what she died of?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
picklespickles

oh. that's terrible. her comb going purple sounds like lungs and or heart to me but i don't really know. how old was she and what kind?

Bookmark   November 23, 2007 at 1:28PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

I'm so sorry you lost your pet. :(

Is it possible she had worms? Losing weight mysteriously, without indications of suffering from any specific disease or ailment is referred to as 'going light'. It does happen sometimes. There are many things that could have happened to her, from something she ate that was toxic, to Coccidiosis, to proventriculitis (an obstruction in her digestive tract) to tumors-- there would be no way to tell short of an x-ray and visit to the vet.

The purple comb could indicate poor circulation (was it shrunken as well?), which again could be caused by a number of things, including worms.

Do you have any other chickens? If so, if at all possible you should check the dead hens' poops for worms. If you see worms in her poop you need to worm the rest of your flock ASAP.

I've got more on my chicken info site here, it might help you narrow down what happened.

http://home.earthlink.net/~velvetsparrow/VSChickHealth.htm

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 10:10PM
beeliz(2)

what about mites? My rooster died this way too..then I found out he was infested with mites an he became anemic. I treated the rest,but he didn't make it :(

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 9:36PM

beeliz, mites can cause this, also, but usually a healthy bird can preen itself and keep mites under control--if the bird is suffering from another ailment (or old age) however, mites are opportunistic little beasts and can quickly turn the tables on the bird and overwhelm it--illness or other parasites are a perfect gateway for mites. :( Mite outbreaks on their own certainly aren't unheard of, but a lot of times they are a symptom of a larger problem. Depends on the type of bird as well--I have to keep a closer eye on my feather footed cochins and the Polish girls' head poofs for mites, those areas are more difficult for the bird to preen effectively.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 1:58PM
turbo_tts_yahoo_com

I have six hens..about 3 mo...I let them roam in an enclosed fence area..It is not too high and I think maybe one of them jumped the fence..it was late and the five other hens were already inside...My wife and I searched with flashlights for about a half an hour to no avail..In the morning she was back in the enclosure clucking like nothing had happened. Where could she have gone.? I thought for sure she would be night food..I live in the woods..I am getting a higher fence today....lol.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 8:34AM

Look for a hidden nest of eggs! Especially if she starts to exhibit signs of broodiness--fluffed up, clucking and being bad-tempered.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™