waterless shampoo recipe

jennybog(zone 5)November 10, 2008

Hello, I am looking for a waterless shampoo recipe for my mini Donkeys. When I say waterlessI mean, that they dont need to be rinsed off. I see sevarel at the feed store but I would like to make mine homemade with natural products. Anyone have an idea? Jenny- Out of my gourd farm -

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yakimadn

With winter coming on, I'd just give them a good brushing/scratching and maybe use the vacuum cleaner on them and let them go. Leave the oil/moisture there to get them through the cold damp winter.

Dave

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 2:16PM
Dibbit(z7b SC)

I would agree with Dave.

If you MUST give them an extra-special cleaning - a bucket of very hot water with a little liniment in it, a towel well wrung out and a good scrubbing can get an amazing amount of dirt out of a coat. Use a dry towel to remove any excess water as you go along, if the temperature is cold, maybe even cover them with a light sheet or blanket, to avoid chilling them.

In general, a good brushing, or, if you have one and the donkeys will accept it, vacuuming is the best for winter cleaning - the natural oils in the coat help keep the coat stay dry and shed water/melted snow. It they have bad manure stains, a good currying when the stain is dry, brushing well and then scrubbing with a nearly dry towel (as above) if there is still a mark, should get them clean.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 11:14PM
jennybog(zone 5)

Thankyou for your answers. I am not talking about making my own for regular use not so much for winter cleaning.Something to spray very lightly on there brush to freshen them up. We have a muddy corral and they get a bit stinky. I was hoping to put a litte something on there brush that wouldnt harm them.

Bookmark   November 11, 2008 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™