goat had worms now wont stand

growernut(4/5 NEBR)November 26, 2007

I have a buck, about 2 yrs old, that went off feed and got really skinny. figured it was worms. wormed him, seemed to get better, then about 3 weeks later laid down and would not get up. took him to the vet. still had worms, wormed again, gave him some other stuff, said blood count was low. took him home 4 days later, that was all three weeks ago. he still wont get up and walk. he will stand if you help him, but thats it. else he drags himself to food, water, etc. any thoughts on what to do to help him out?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sherryo(Z5Canada)

That has me stumped,could he have had a bad reaction to the wormer? Sherry

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 5:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Build a sling and put him in it, so his feet touch the ground, but not his full weight.

When animals go down, it seems that after a day or two they probably never will get up. The muscles just get weak or something. Have heard of putting them in slings so they only put part of their weight on their feet and get some excercise to strengthen the muscles again.

Don't know if this will work, but have heard it suggested. I always try to get downed sheep back on their feet as quickly as I can, and the sooner it happens the better the survival rate.

The key would be to flex and excercise the legs to get them back in shape.

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 1:51AM
More Discussions
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™