Rooster with broken wing?

mary_d_ia(z4/5 IA)November 29, 2008

Need info on how to treat a broken wing. We think our rooster was attacked by a bird dog that was with hunters. One wing is hanging low, but not dragging. He has a puncture wound on his back that seems ok. He has no tail feathers. He was seen drinking and eating a little. I had to "get rid of him" since he doesn't seem to be suffering and if we can help him. mary d

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

I am not an injury expert, but it seems to me like bandaging the wing in place is a good first step until someone else can give you a more complete answer. worst case scenario is that it heals in the closed position and he can't extend it fully, meaning he can;t fly well, better than having it hanging out at an odd angle at least.

Bookmark   November 29, 2008 at 6:27PM
seramas

I've used 2 Popsicle sticks and super glue. I takes 2 people-one holding and the other doing. Stretch wing out and align the broken bone(s) place a ps stick along the break on the top side holding it firmly in place then squirt glue along each side of the stick between wing and stick. Repeat for the bottom side. Wrap wing to body with ace bandage tight enough to keep wing from getting caught on things. It will mend in approximately in 3-4 weeks. The glue will come loose on it's own about the same time that the bones are mended enough to go without support.

Bookmark   November 29, 2008 at 11:11PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Thanks for picking up where my knowledge failed sermas.

mary_d_ia it occurs to me that you may want to increase the protein and calcium in the diet during this time.

Bookmark   November 30, 2008 at 2:23AM
seramas

If feeding a 16% layer ration your protein and calcium are on the high side for any male poultry requirements. Any higher will cause calcium deposits in muscles, joints and kidneys in the Rooster.

brendan_of_bonsai,

May I recommend a good technical read:

Nutrient Requirements of Poultry
The Ninth Revised Edition, 1994
written by the Subcommittee on Poultry Nutrition, the Committee on Animal Nutrition Board on Agriculture and the National Research Council

Bookmark   November 30, 2008 at 5:19AM
More Discussions
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™