first time hatching ducks

steve11_ducksNovember 18, 2009

hey guys i need help. i bought two ducks a cople of months ago and they just started laying. i have 5 eggs and i need to know what temp. and how long i should put them in the incubator for.

thanks for your advice. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

I eat my eggs We also let them keep a few and mark them so we dont eat the old ones.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 7:47PM
tracydr(9b)

Did you find the information you need? You should be able to find the exact hatching temps/length of hatching online. Each species is different. What type of incubator do you have? I used one of those small styrofoam ones that could do about 30 chicken eggs and had excellent success. Don't allow your baby ducklings to get in the water. They will freeze to death, learned it the hard way. They will immediately try to swim when just hatched and get cold without a mama. Just keep them warm and dry.
Keep eggs refrigerated until ready to incubate.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 3:52PM
brendasue(6)

Refridgerate eggs before incubation? I just keep mine at room temp until I either incubate or put them under a hen.
Brendasue

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 6:37PM
prmsdlndfrm

DO NOT REFRIDGERATE HATCHING EGGS store room temp with pointed side up rotate 2 x daily styrofoam incubators come with heating adjustment instructions cant remember off top of my head but remember to rotate if you dont get one with automatic egg turner and also remember to mist the eggs a couple times a day while incubating
josh

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 6:39PM
calliope(6)

Yes, keep the humidity up on duck eggs. There are charts on numerous sites about what temperature and humidity to use. Do not refrigerate eggs you intend on incubating. I hold eggs up to five days successfully if I need to at room temperature, and like the last poster says, in the incubator or not, you should rotate them a couple times a day.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 1:44AM
acer(6b western NC)

Personally, I think it might be better to just eat the eggs and wait till spring to hatch some. They'll probably lay more, and do you really want to deal with tender little babies in the dead of winter?

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 9:27PM
eric_wa(San Juan, z8 WA)

Steve,

I have a couple questions.
You say a couple ducks. Is one a drake? Ducks (hens) lay eggs even if they are not fertile.

What breed of duck are they? Only purbred breed true.

Eric

Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™