Small Crookneck Yellow Squash

jkduke22June 17, 2014

Hi all,

I have a bunch of yellow squash plants. They are all huge and seem to be doing well. We got several squash started on them a little over a week ago and now each plant has upwards of 8 or 9 squash growing on them.

My question is this: the first several squash that started over a week ago are now around 3 - 4 inches (including the neck part), but don't really seem to be getting any bigger. Should I go ahead and pick them now?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
n2xjk

Yea, if the growth of the little squashes seems to have stopped, go ahead and pick them. You'll have more soon enough! Its possible the first ones didn't get good pollination; later ones from the same plants may do better.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 4:34PM
jkduke22

Awesome, thanks!

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 4:36PM
ju1234((8 Dallas TX))

I have only 3 yellow zuchini plants. I have seen the fruit become 4-6" long in just 3 days from when it first appears. I pick about 3-4 zuchinis every day.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:08PM
rbreedi1(Tennessee Zone 7b)

My yellow crooknecks did the same thing.. I had several that grew just a tiny bit then shriveled up. I was told they didnt get pollinated or not effectively. My others have grown extremely fast and I harvested some last night around 6 inches. May or may not be associated but just thought I would throw that out there.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:28PM
rbreedi1(Tennessee Zone 7b)

My yellow crooknecks did the same thing.. I had several that grew just a tiny bit then shriveled up. I was told they didnt get pollinated or not effectively. My others have grown extremely fast and I harvested some last night around 6 inches. May or may not be associated but just thought I would throw that out there.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:31PM
jkduke22

Thanks for the follow-ups. I do think that is as you all have said - low pollination. Although there are a TON of bees out there now. So, hopefully the next round that are coming up will get regular sized.

Will these small ones taste OK?

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:02PM
sleevendog

Tiny ones, if they look just like the ones you are used to, just tiny, : ), are perfectly fine to eat, and often better...
I only grow zukes for the flowers and the small attached veg on the females...

You will know when slicing. If dry looking inside, they will taste a bit 'un-fullfilled'. Not good.
The next batch, seeing so many bees now, should be perfect.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:11PM
jkduke22

Fantastic news, thanks!

One last question - some of the plants, though huge and healthy looking - are (for lack of a better description) falling over a bit. They still seem to be growing fine, but don't want to stand up super straight. Is this OK? Or should I thin the plants out some?

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:44PM
n2xjk

Its normal for bush squash plants to 'flop around' a bit as the vines grow. If the plants are as healthy as you say they are, further thinning isn't needed.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 3:15PM
jkduke22

Good to know, thanks!

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™