Cow with something caught in her eye?

dirtslinger2(6)November 9, 2008

I have a young (1.5 year) heifer with what I imagine is a bit of burdock stuck in her eye.

This has been in for a week...

It's watering a lot (good!) but if it's burdock it will have a little barb holding it in.

The swelling seems to have gone down but her eye is still not opening well.

Help! What can I do? The vet has been contacted but hasn't returned calls yet- and is only in the area once every 2 weeks or so so fact is I need to at least do something.

Thanks for ANY ideas!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmitoagain

Just so you'll know, I don't have cows. We have horses. Can you handle the cow? Can it be haltered?

If so, do you think that one of those eye washes from the drug store will help?

I keep the eye wash on hand as my DH is always getting something in his eyes.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 10:38AM
dirtslinger2(6)

Hey- actually she is a bit wild. She'll put her head in a grain bucket but that's it.
I'm afraid she'll need tranquelizing, but in a way you'd expect there must be another way?

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 12:17PM
ladybug1(7TN)

I don't currently have cows although I have had them before. I have horses. However, I think it is really safe to assume that what would blind a horse will also blind a cow. Yes, you will probably need to tranquilize her to deal with her, and you should probably put her in a smaller pen so you can catch her because she most likely needs some meds in her eye two, three, or four times a day. You really need to call the vet and have it looked at. It will cost you some money if the vet has to make a special trip, but to me it is just part of owning an animal. I wouldn't wait any longer to get a vet out. If her eye is damaged it might be too late already. You won't know until a vet looks at it.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 9:59PM
dirtslinger2(6)

Ladybug you are right on here. Still waiting for the vet, but I have the movable corral ready for his visit. Thanks!

Bookmark   November 11, 2008 at 4:13PM
kydaylilylady(z6 KY)

If you're going to treat the animal yourself you'll need to lasso her, get a halter on her to snub her down, get a set of nose leads in her nose to subdue her, pull her head to the side to expose the eye that you want to look at and take a good look. If there is something there that needs to be removed then remove it. If it appears to be infected she may need an antibiotic and eye patch plus penicillin or other medication IM.

Janet

Bookmark   November 12, 2008 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™