chicken housing...

nikko(z5nj)December 4, 2006

i would love to see pictures of everyones coops and housing. want to get into chickens and figure actually seeing what everyone is doing for housing would help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KellyFG(6)

here is mine, while we were still working on it
The pine is painted barn red now & the run is taller & more secure. It is all reclaimed aka used materials my DH got from work.

It is fully insulated, has three double pane windows, an asphalt roof & is 2' off the ground

Here's a pic after we did more

This is taken from the edge of my deck, its only about 60ft away from my house-you can see my unfinished greenhouse too & my garden that is fenced, but I always let them in for a few minutes at dusk to eat bugs.

My nest boxes-they have a locking hinged roof to get the eggs from outside the coop

This was their starter roost, now its taller & has a wall seperating this area from the nests. Under the roost is a "poop pit", it drops down on a hinge for easy cleaning.

I have 8 standard laying hens in this coop, they only lay & sleep in it. They freerange my back yard during all daylight hours. They have a small waterer & feeder inside but always have access to both outside as well.

Bookmark   December 4, 2006 at 8:55AM
jillylam(6)

Nikko,
I love to see other coops/runs too. I'm getting a new camera tomorrow so I'll be out there taking pictures to put here.
Kellyfg,
I love your pictures. What a nice home for your flock!
Jill

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 12:25PM
nikko(z5nj)

thats an incredible house.....thanks. i am still looking into what i want to do. all this info is great.

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 5:47AM
zootjs(zone 5 MA)

This is nicer than most apartments I've lived in. :)

Really nice job. I'm reading up on chicken tractors, at the moment, and trying to figure out a design that will work for me.

--Jonathan

Bookmark   December 13, 2006 at 7:56PM
KellyFG(6)

Thanks all, I'm sure other people have pics they can post so everyone can get ideas. Show us your chicken coops PLEASE! :)

Bookmark   December 14, 2006 at 6:42AM
renita_wa(z8)

Here's the coop that my husband and I built over the summer. It's 8 X12, stained board and batten cedar with a cedar shake roof. I was lucky to get most of the materials free or very cheap. We brought water and electric to the site. Our climate really doesn't require insulation. Inside, 8X8 is for the hens and 4 X 8 is for storage, the next boxes open to the storage area. So there are two doors, inside and outside. We got the nest boxes and feeding trough from a cousin who bought a property with tons of these things in his barn. Several hens have been sleeping in the nest boxes since I introduced some older chickens, so I have to rethink the roosting in there. And I took some windows from my grandma's old barn and installed them the same way they were installed at the barn. I wish I would have added more windows.

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Renita_WA/DSCN1486.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Renita_WA/DSCN1485.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Renita_WA/DSCN1489.jpg[/IMG]
Feeding trough.

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Renita_WA/DSCN1488.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Renita_WA/DSCN1487.jpg[/IMG]
Easy access to eggs!

Renita

Bookmark   December 15, 2006 at 1:03PM
renita_wa(z8)

Looks like I copied the wrong code. Let's try again.......

Renita

Bookmark   December 15, 2006 at 1:16PM
undercover_owl(8 Pac.NW)

renita_wa: on the last photo: what is the purpose of the metal grid/grate over the chicken feed tray, and the board in front of the feed tray?

I think both chicken coops look terrific! Congratulations on your good poultry housing!

Bookmark   December 23, 2006 at 1:05AM
renita_wa(z8)

We got the feeding tray and nest boxes from a cousin. Before he moved there, his farm used to house a pretty large chicken operation. I installed the feeding tray about 8 inches off the floor, so I put a little roost in front of it. And the grate in front of it is so the birds don't hang out in the tray. It was installed a lot higher in the barn we took it out of.

Bookmark   December 26, 2006 at 11:10PM
mailman22(6)

Nice coops!

Kelly, yours is the style I would love to build. Did you use a plan? I have been looking for a plan online but have not found "the one".

Renita,
You are very fortunate to get the cedar material for free or cheap. Great stuff to build with.

C'mon, people! Let's see your coops. Don't be shy. Us newbies need ideas and most of all, PLANS!

Bookmark   January 2, 2007 at 7:35AM
songbirdmommy(UT 5)

Beautiful coops!

Makes me think my chickens lived in the ghettos! LOL

I have something to aspire to this year!

Bookmark   January 2, 2007 at 2:28PM
KellyFG(6)

mailman-thanks! DH & I designed it ourselves after I read several books with chicken coop designs. I think we combined a lot of ideas and then we used free materials like the windows so we worked with those predetermined dimensions. We only spent about $75 on everything.
I think the "storey chicken coop" book/pamphlet was most helpful to us.

Bookmark   January 2, 2007 at 10:07PM
jillylam(6)

Here are some pictures of my chicken coop, run & yard. It is a 14'x14' shed that was falling down when I bought the house a few years ago. This past year I jacked it up to repair the cinder block foundation, re-roofed it, replaced the soffets, painted, cleaned it up and kicked out some furry squatters. It makes a great, roomy coop for my 3 RIR's and 4 Ameraucanas. Since taking these pictures I have put foil/foam/foil insulation in the ceiling. This preserves a little bit of heat and also reflects the light coming in from the windows. It is so much brighter inside now. Also, my test with an electric heat panel from EconoHeat is going great. It doesn't get too hot and it's so low-profile the girls don't even know it's there. It's mounted about an inch from the wall and 2 feet from the floor but the wall doesn't get hot. It's a pretty neat heater. It will be interesting to see what I'll need to add/change for the summertime.

Jill

Bookmark   January 2, 2007 at 11:04PM
Dibbit(z7b SC)

Jill, I'm not getting any pictures.....

Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 1:38PM
songbirdmommy(UT 5)

Jillylam,
You have an impressive coop too!
You have done ALOT of work it it was almost falling down.... It looks brand new to me... except for the water stains!

Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 2:40PM
beeliz(2)

oh my god...I have alot of building to do this spring!! Anyone care to help? :)

Bookmark   January 3, 2007 at 3:09PM
davidgreen

Jillylam, you have a great looking coop =D!

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 4:24AM
runningtrails

Great chicken coops! I'd like to see pics of everyone's coops too.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
mean Turkey
My tom hates my daughter and all little kids is there...
michelle_annk
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
Tethering steers
Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone has done this...
mersiepoo
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
Sponsored Products
Chicken Wire Basket One-Light Dome Pendant
$94.95 | Bellacor
Which Came First Dishtowel - Set of 2
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Deep Fryer/Steamer Combo for Frontgate by TEC Grill
$238.00 | FRONTGATE
Metallic Red 4-Qt. Slow Cooker
$26.99 | zulily
Big Fat Hen Polka Dot Table Lamp with Linen Shade
$54.91 | Lamps Plus