Will the plants survive the hail damage?

brandytabJune 24, 2008

Hi everyone --- we just got a MEAN hail storm this afternoon and we have nickel sized holes in much of our leafy veggies (squash, broccoli, cauliflower), and side stems broken off of our tomatoes and peppers.

Is there any damage control of some sort that I can do now or should I just wait it out and see?

Thanks

Brandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeluzon

mine got blasted about 10 days ago and, per the advice of more experienced folks here, i trimmed off the broken (dead or dying) foliage and waited. pretty much everything seems to be doing okay if set back a bit - few flowers and barely any fruit on anything, but surviving and, mostly, thriving plants.

patience seems to be the key.

good luck!

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 5:59PM
brandytab

Sounds great.

I guess my next question is if there is a hole in the leaf, is it to be considered 'dying'? I don't want to cut off the leaves that I don't need to, but also don't want to leave leaves (ok, that sounded funny!) that are hindering growth.

Thanks!!
Brandy

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 6:11PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Two years ago hail hit badly here. Some things like corn and sweetpotatoes recovered completely. Melons were hurt more as were onions apples, and peppers. The peppers never recovered their vigor. Some other things seemed fairly unhurt...beans, tomatoes, and potatoes.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 6:12PM
granite(z6 NC)

A hole in a leaf does not mean it is dying. If the leaf or branch is significantly broken from the plant, remove it. If it is partially broken back, wait a day to see if the leaf is withering or recovering. If it is withering, remove it.

Plants can make a remarkable recovery from hail damage; here's some pictures from my garden after its TERRIBLE hailstorm last year:

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™