lighting in chicken tractor

keiki(10 FL)December 21, 2010

I need to put a light in my chicken tractor but I am unsure how to do it without a having power cord all over the lawn. I want to be able to have this on a timer if possible also since we just need on a few hours. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Sure. All you need is a light that doesn't use any power. Problem solved.

Sorry, but any solar powered light I've ever seen is quite dim and isn't going to work to extend daylight hours and make the hens lay eggs (which is the only reason I can think of to light a chicken tractor.)

You might be able to find a battery powered one. I've got a really good rechargeable one, but it does not give enough light to stimulate birds to lay, and it doesn't have a timer, plus it probably wouldn't run long enough on one charge to do what you want.

Maybe you could run a light off of a car battery. Charge it every day and haul it back out there in the evening.

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 2:46PM
keiki(10 FL)

Very funny oregonwoodsmoke :) battery powered is what I was hoping to find someone had info on. I should have said I live in sunny Florida but was told I need extend daylight hours just a little. My brother in law, "the farmer" of the family, told my dh we needed it and I don't want cords out there to trip over. I also dont want to "make" my hens lay eggs, I just want happy healthy girls.

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 9:10AM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

If you don't care about the egg production, just let them live in whatever the natural light is. They don't need extended light for their health.

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 1:09PM
jonas302(central mn 4)

I never got around to putting in the "required" lighting my hen just laid her first egg on the 20th of December which is one of the shortest days of the year and now leaves me a present almost every day with just a south facing window

Now if you needed more eggs or consistent production the lights would be much more important but honestly with my 3 chickens one who seems to be a rooster lol I would spend more on lighting then on store bought eggs

good luck with your chickens

Bookmark   December 24, 2010 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™