Partial Sun Vegetables

behlgarden(9)June 29, 2011

Hello,

I have a pretty good size area that gets partial sun, about 3-hours or so. Any suggestions on what veggies I can grow there?

I already got egg plant, hot peppers, and tomatoes going in sunny areas.

please comment

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

Lettuce, herbs, onions and other alliums. I'm sure there are more and that other gardeners will tell us.

Carol

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 6:08PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

If you search 'shade gardening' here you'll find several discussions if interested as that is basically what you would be doing - shade gardening. Lots of info on Goggle too using that search term.

But they usually boil down to the same things - those that Carol listed above. I just add all kinds of leafy greens - kale, cabbage, chard, spinach, bok choy, etc.

Dave

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 6:51PM
oliveoyl3

Sounds like you know what loves the heat & it's basically everything else that grows in part sun/shade. If your 3 hours are mid-day you'll have no problem growing vegs. Slower to warm in spring, but slower to heat up in summer, so still good for growing some veggies.

Dappled high shade is different than dark shade from a building.

In partial shade harvests are slower coming & smaller, so plan on planting more; however, there are some advantages because you can grow lettuce all summer with great taste, less need to water, less sprouting of weeds, vegs wait a bit longer before harvest is needed (less bolting), and more comfortable to work in the garden. Often less bees, too, which is more for the squashes anyway.

These grow really well for us to use in salads & stir fries: swiss chard, spinach, chives, allium, pansies, pot marigold (Calendula), Red Russian kale, lettuces, zucchini, & parsley.

Last year some zucchini were crowded under part of the pear tree & though slower to produce those 2 plants produced longer in the season, so shade can be an advantage.

Moderate results with broccoli, kohlrabi, pak choi, & red cabbages as they take nearly a month longer to harvest. Broccoli keeps producing side shoots all summer in part shade without bolting.

There are good things from shady places, too.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 2:07AM
More Discussions
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™