Where to use egg shells?

frdnicholas(Albuquerque NM)June 20, 2011

I remember somewhere that some vegetables like to have egg shells placed under them. WHich vegetables would like that? I have tomatoes, eggplants, peppers and zuchini planted. I also have fruit trees, it the shells would be good for those? We have about a dozen egg shells from deviled eggs on the weekends and I would like to be able to use them in the garden if they would help. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

i think all plants like calcium but theres not enough in the shells to make that much diffrence. break them up as small as you can and spread them around.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 6:19PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with Terry. The calcium benefit, if there is any, is minimal and since it takes so long for the shells to break down the benefit would be for next year's garden, not this years plants.

Egg shells "might" have some benefit if one has a slug problem since they supposedly are irritating to slugs but otherwise their use in the garden is primarily considered one of the old garden myths that doesn't hold up to any sort of testing or proof.

Search 'egg shells' here for lots of discussions about them.

Dave

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 7:01PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I just read where you can take 12 egg shells and soak them in water for 24 hours and use the water on your plants. I don't know how beneficial this would be...

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 7:12PM
zzackey(8b GA)

You can add them to your compost pile. You will have to screen your compost to remove what doesn't disintegrate.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 7:16PM
morbidan(7a)

I got a tip from someone at a local nursery. They said break your eggshells in medium sized pieces and spread them out on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 min to dry them out. Apparently, when they are extra crispy they break down faster. Then throw them in the blender and blast them until they're almost a powder. Then just throw them in your soil at planting or add them to the top inch or two around your plants.

As for how much nutritional value they actually have I couldn't tell you. But from experience (I've done this several times this year) the next morning, I would look under my mulch and the worms are having a feast! I've never been able to attract worms any other way but for some reason they love the eggshells. And as we all know if you've got worms in your garden then you've got pretty darn good soil! :)

Happy experimenting!

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 8:17PM
sashahawaii

I always put crushed eggshells around my peppers and tomatoes to help prevent blossom end rot, usually around when they first start flowering. Supposedly it takes too long to break down to be of any benefit but if I remember to do this, I never have to worry about rot.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 8:48PM
tracydr(9b)

When I had worms, I found they really love those half shells for little houses. So I just toss them in the lasagna garden. I figure they get turned into the soil and the worms have nice little sleeping houses.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 8:37PM
defrost49

This is my second year of grinding up egg shells saved during the winter. I mixed 1/4 cup in each planting hole for tomatoes. This year I did not do the peppers because last year the plants got huge but didn't produce many peppers. The stems were very thick, almost shrub-like.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 1:16PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Personally, I think the very best use for them is in the compost pile. No blending, no extra crushing, just time. I add them to pots of tomatoes and peppers at planting time. I have read many books and magazines that recommend this. Myth or not, I never have blossom end rot...

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 3:41PM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

I tend to pulverize mine (agree, cripsy works better, but I just leave mine in a paper bag for a couple of days before using something heavy to crush them)and put them in the compost too. I don't know if this is what morbian is talking about, but I add the powdered eggshells to my worm bin because they like to use the little particles in their gizzards as grit.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 10:45AM
tracydr(9b)

Mine are probably getting extra crispy laying in the lasagna garden baking in the 114 degree heat and drought!

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
What Bugs Are In My Garden?
I am growing artichoke, kale, a spider plant and a...
safersaturnx
Does Vgkg still post here?
I would've posted on Conversations, but doesn't look...
natal
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Is it possible to grow vegetables in narrow shaded area.
Hi, We have small space between fence and left side...
ritholtz47
Sponsored Products
Orbit Metallic Wallpaper R1923, double roll
Walls Republic
MTI MTSB-4242DT Shower Base (42" x 42")
Modern Bathroom
Canterbury Chris Cross 5 Piece Counter Height Set in Black
Beyond Stores
HyLoft 24 in. Wall Shelf - 00630
$91.02 | Hayneedle
Hot Pink Leather Pouf
$179.99 | Dot & Bo