Are Winter Peas Edible?

babalubirdDecember 29, 2008

We're planting an acre in Winter Peas, primarily to put nitrogen in our potential garden. I was told Winter peas look something like black-eyed peas.

So curiosity question, can Hubby and I eat these peas. I understand that you can eat both the peas and the leaves in salads of the Cow Peas. Can you use the leaves of the Winter Peas raw in salads as well?

Thanks.

Connie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Connie,
The 'Austrian Winter Peas' that I've seen advertized(and I planted them one year) for planting in wildlife food plots do not resemble blackeye/pinkeye/cowpeas in any respect - they are, for all intents and purposes, an 'unimproved' 'English pea'/snowpea type(Pisum sativum, maybe?) pod & seed - the little round green peas.
I would suppose that the leaves and pods/peas would be edible - I just don't know how tasty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Austrian winterpea

Bookmark   January 5, 2009 at 7:58AM
kbaxoxoxo_yahoo_com

It's mid-May here. My Austrian Winter Peas have grown 6-7 feet tall up my 6 ft chainlink fence. They flowered cute little purple flower which gave way to mini looking snow pea pods with seeds the size of pin heads at this time of the season.

I ate one today and it tasted like a tender, fresh garden pea; the flower, stems and leaves taste the same at this time. It will be interesting to see the taste as the summer progresses and they age.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 5:13PM
denninmi(8a)

I grew about 40 row feet of Austrian Winter two years ago. You can use the sprouts and shoots as greens, the young pods as snow peas, the green shelling stage is perfectly edible but a little more starchy than traditional green peas. The dry pea is a yellow soup pea -- I ground mine into pea flour and used small quantities in bread baking. To my knowledge, there isn't a practical way to split and dehull dry peas at home.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™