After Potato harvest, then what?

cbgardenJune 10, 2012

I live in LA, and just harvested (June 10, 2012) some fist size potatoes (my first - yea!). I also found some little seed potatoes which i left in the ground. The plant tops have completely died back. Do I continue to water the tiny seed potatoes and will they grow now ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Potatoes are a cool weather crop. Warm soil temps will often just rot any small ones left in the ground before they can sprout. Most gardeners save them for planting in the cool fall or spring next year.

You can try of course and see what happens but I'm assuming that S. California weather wouldn't be at all potato planting friendly right now. :)

Dave

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 5:57PM
cbgarden

thanks dave - how do you "save" them? also i live by the ocean -year-round evening temps average 55 degrees.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 6:06PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

In your climate saving them may be a problem. In the mid-west folks use root cellars and cold basements - they need darkness and max air temps of 45-50 degrees to keep. If you have room in the veggie bin drawer of the fridge they will keep there. In the old days folks used to bury them in a covered bucket in the back yard if they didn't have a root cellar.

In warmer climates most start with fresh seed potatoes each spring because stored ones just don't last long enough.

If you monitor your soil temps as needed then you may be able to plant them this fall if your soil temps get down to 45-50 degrees and get a crop then.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Potatoes in the Home Garden

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 6:30PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Potatoes missed or left in the ground at harvest generally do not sprout for a couple months...built in sprouting resistance.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 7:51PM
farmerdill

In old times in Virginia, we would dig the spring potatoes in late June early July. The little potatoes would be left in the sun for a week or so until they began to green up and then planted for a fall crop to be dug in late September - early October. We grew Irish Cobblers in those day which are a relatively quick maturing potato. The bottom line is that they will sprout readily if exposed to sun for a week or so.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 7:59PM
oliveoyl3

farmerdill, thanks for the tip about getting little potatoes from early summer harvesting to sprout for replanting and harvest in fall.

I did a search to find the post again since I remembered reading it, but didn't recall details. Just the answer my daughter needed today.

Garden web is great for the practical tips shared from experienced gardeners!

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 4:27PM
Edymnion(7a)

Just harvested my spring crop of potatoes. Several good eaters, lots of good seed, and one classic "can't show this one polite company" potato.

When is the best time to start the fall crop? We're still hovering around/above 100 degrees here, so I'm assuming the answer is not "now".

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
fertilizer for tomatoes
are tomatoes heavy feeders ? some say fertilize other...
westlaketomatoqueen
Plastic hardware cloth
How easily can critters chew through it?
hairmetal4ever
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™