Automatic chicken watering

toomuchremodelingDecember 6, 2009

I have a coop with six chickens. It is about 70 feet down a relatively steep hill, so I am not keen on schlepping buckets of water every day. The owner of the place rigged a hose down to the coop, and put a little thing on the end that lets it drip out into a pan. It really doesn't work well.

Does anyone have experience with any automated, hose-fed systems?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prmsdlndfrm

check Murray Mcmurray catalog, they have a chicken water trough set up to be hooked to the end of garden hose.
Also with such few chickens there is a set up that uses a 5 gallon bucket that feeds down to a pan.
We use a series of 7 gallon water founts. 6 chickens are not going to drink more than a gallon or 2 even in the heat of summer, and you arre going to need to check for eggs every day. I dont see were carrying a half full 5 gallon bucket up or down a mountain every day is going to kill no one, Im 34 and my 65 year old neighbor gives me a run for my money when it comes to farm work.
josh
josh

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 12:15AM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

I think this make better drinker single one you need adapter and soon small line 4g29 pressure reducing valve

Here is a link that might be useful: 9 inch drinker on this web site

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 12:22AM
marlingardener

We bought a large dog waterer. It has a 3 gallon container on top which feeds into a watering pan. I fill it twice a week for our six hens, and that is more often than is needed (I'm spoiling our girls). I take a 2-gallon watering can to the coop with me, remove the big bottle containing the water, refill it, clean out the pan, and replace the bottle. It's a little heavy to lift and place, but not terribly so.
In spite of your posting name, have you thought of relocating the coop closer to the house?

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™