heated base for chicken's water

sufeiDecember 6, 2009

I bought a heated base for my chicken's water and an outdoor extension cord today. The "instructions" for the base says multiple times not to use an extension cord with it. I have no other way to use it-- Is it unsafe to use the extension cord with it? I did not set it up because of my concerns.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

I'm not electric expert but watts of heater watts of extension cord can carry if take cord and heater to good electian they tell how the wire size need to be like maybe No. 12 wire in extenion cord cheaper cords have 14 or 18 gauge wire inside insulation. They get hot and burn wires up that start fire. I think what use in house is extension cords what use outside drop cords is this right.

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 10:24PM
prmsdlndfrm

use a commercial grade extension cord, and a thermostat controller on end
josh

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 12:18AM
twonicklefarms(7)

I am an industrial electrician. An outdoor 110v extension cord with 12 gauge wire should be sufficient. It might be a good idea to purchase a GFCI "pigtail" cord and use it as well (if the circiut you are using is not already ground fault protected). As for a thermostat, does the heated base have one built in? If not, you should have one in line so the power so it cycles on and off as needed. This will also save on electricty cost because your not heating the water when the temperature is above freezing. hope this helps.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Need help with a ground cover grass that is fast growing
I'm looking for some input on what kind of wild grass...
broguearcher
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
raising baby ducks to release in private pond
We have a 2 acre pond next to a small cabin on 130...
anne2006
ducks mating with chickens???
I went to our local co-op today to gather some supplies...
thinknpink
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™