How often to pick beans?

rjingaJune 11, 2009

I am just amazed at how fast new snap beans show up..I am picking a bucketful every few days. I only planted 15 plants...and they are producing like mad.

I have had several meals of them and filled 2 one gallon zip locks.

How long will they put out like this? Do I need to get some canning/preserving ideas & supplies?

I'm not complaining, it's about time something I planted actually produced well...last year my beans did not do so well at all. so I"m happy, we love green beans :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Easiest is to blanch 3 mins. and freeze them. Instructions below.

Canning them requires investment in a pressure canner. Lots of discussions on how to do both over on the Harvest forum.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Freeze Green Beans

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 6:55PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

"How often to pick beans?" Well, it depends on how tender or how meaty you like them. Every two days for the more tender beans and every four or 5 days for large meaty ones.

With 15 beans you may not need preserving supplies. Still, there is plenty of time to plant another planting or two ..or three poroviding you have the room and temps are not severe. I have even replanted where the first planting is after the quality and quantity drops badly.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 7:02PM
rjinga

Even with my 15 or so plants, picking a gallon zip lock every 2 or 3 days will give me more beans than I can keep in my fridge. So I guess my question should have been (in addition) how long will they produce like this generally speaking under good conditions etc.

I will freeze them, that sounds most reasonable. Cant eat beans every day ;)

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 7:29PM
aubade

I hope my beans do that well! They're still just a few inches tall here in 6b. Last year I tried canning, and it was successful (ate green salsa in March!) but time consuming. Freezing isn't so great for me b/c my freezer is tiny, so this year I'm looking into getting a dehydrator.
I read about it in Eliot Coleman's book, seems like a great idea - takes up less space, and seems pretty easy. So that's another idea.

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 7:52PM
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

How many pickings you get from your bush beans depends on the variety, the weather, and the general vigor of the plants.

In my experience, each flush of beans lasts about 7-14 days. Then the plants either die off, believing that their job of producing seed is done, if they are a commercial variety, or put on some new growth and produce a second, or even third, flush of beans.

One of the reasons I choose to grow only purple and yellow beans is that if you let a bean "get away" so that it ends up in the shell stage or beyond that plant will "know" that its job is done and the plant will die. So I grow the kind that are easier to see. :-)

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Garden row orientation: east-west, or north-south?
I'm wondering if there is any benefit to orientating...
nick_b79
Identifying garden pests
Dear Experts Could you figure what type of pests are...
zillah2004
Asparagus sprouts getting TALL
Planted them on 3/9, in small 2-inch pots, potting...
ilovecucumbers
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
More efficient planting
Found this in the Oklahoma Gardening forum... tube...
nugrdnnut
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Etna Spruce Green 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Sitting Bull Flame Red Adult Bean Bag Chair
Overstock.com
Schonbek Six Light Legacy Crystal Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Voice Caddie VC300 Golf Course GPS
$169.00 | FRONTGATE
Two "Milan" Holdbacks
$120.00 | Horchow