Did I make a whoopsy with Lettuce plants

plantlover80(5a-WI)June 20, 2014

Hello, question regarding my lettuces and spinach that I grew. I planted seed at the end of May here in Wisconsin Zone 5, Raised garden. I have rows growing; Red oak leaf, Red sails and spinach. I have no clue what happened to all my spinach plants. They never grew in except for one that has a big flower crown on it. That means that it is done growing in right? I is only 8 inches tall flower and all. Will the lettuce bolt on me soon? That area is a great place to grow more veggies if they are in fact growing in between seasons.

Thanks in advance,

Chad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woohooman

Yep. The spinach has bolted. Most likely, the lettuce will soon also, but you may try mulching and/or shading to regulate the soil temp. You just may get something out of them still.

Kevin

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 6:29PM
plantlover80(5a-WI)

I just put straw in a week and a half ago.that should suffice right? I probably need to put more in.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 6:42PM
woohooman

Yep. As much as you can without it interfering too much around the base.

Kevin

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 7:01PM
sleevendog

Not a whoops. But you could make better use of your space and plant thick.
I've been harvesting weekly for about a month now in zone 5a...and plant a new row every week to keep it going. Next will be a heat tolerant blend as i have some bolting. But i do save seeds so bolting is fine if you have the room...
New rows are under the slats for shade and to help germinate.
I just keep cheap scissors in the garden, cut through the rows and get a second and third growth...

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 7:55PM
sleevendog

Still some good head lettuce under the closest shade frame but some arugula has bolted.
I'll clean that one out and start another few rows next weekend...i just let the weather determine what goes in...what comes out.
I make my own blends but many pre-mixed blends can be had from Johnny's and others...
Just an ounce of seed is around 10 bucks and can keep you in salads for most of the summer. Much better deal than little packets from box stores...
One of my salad rows is Johnny's spicy micro mix that i grew all winter indoors...
I like my greens and it is doing great in the garden...it is the 1/4 lb packet.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 8:11PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

I like your slatted shade thingies! I might look into making something like that!
I just planted a 6 pak of a Hawaiian lettuce ( Don't remember the name, starts with an M, ends with an I, is about a foot long, has lots of vowels and a couple of n's and k's thrown in there!) ;)
It was pretty hot the day after I planted it, so I had to shade it. I'm hoping it will give me crispy lettuce when my other salad veges are getting ripe! Nancy

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 9:08PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Lettuce like cool weather. Come to PNW, we have lots of it and my lettuce loving it. Tonights low will be 46F. I have some nice bibb lettuce. But, OTOH, my peppers , hmmm . they don't like it.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 10:11PM
plantlover80(5a-WI)

I could probably get a skid from work and work it together somehow. I'll have to research it. The lows here right now are still about 60ð.

Chad

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 10:27PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

Hmmmmm, I picked up a play water/sand table for a few bucks (about 2'x4') I'm thinking I can get some lettuce started and keep it in the shade?
We do get into the mid 80s here, but I do have some full shade. Would this work? Nancy

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:48PM
glib(5.5)

It is a whoopsie. You should plant spinach as soon as the ground can be worked. Now the soil temperature is too high and the seed has gone dormant. Expect spinach plants in that bed next year. When they come up, write down the date, subtract 15 days, and you will get the best time for planting spinach in your area.

Lettuce seed is more heat resistant. It germinated, but it will bolt soon. Mine has already bolted and was replaced by beets June 17, just ahead of the last several days of rain. Plant lettuce as soon as the soil can be worked, too.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 11:23PM
mandolls(4)

I let a row of lettuce go to seed last year, and they self seeded themselves this year (not in a tidy row, but, with a little transplanting they are looking good) They are about ready for some harvesting now.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 6:37AM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™