Making a Concrete Millstone Fountain

splatsOctober 11, 2012

I finished my first concrete millstone fountain/birdbath. Eventually I want to do a larger one in Hypertufa, but for know it has to be concrete. This stone is 32" diameter and 4" thick. Weighs about 250 pounds so it is just about the maximum size two people can safely handle - it's still HEAVY. It took 3 80# bags on concrete to make it. Any questions, just email me. I have a whole series of photos how I did it, but have stopped trying to figure out how to post multiple photos. If you would like to see the photos just email me. /Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenecstasy(5a)

Upload them to http://www.flickr.com and under the share tab in flicker copy and past the HTML/BBCode in the meassage box of a post in gardenweb. How much did it cost to make just the stone? It looks great by the way.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 4:49PM
splats

The cost is cheap, 3 80 pound bags of quickcrete and a bottle of color tint for water. Whatever else depends on what you have to buy to make mold and pond basin. The wheel itself cost about $75 I think.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 5:38PM
splats

Here is a link to the photo sequence of it's construction:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCyNjp5

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 7:56PM
gardenecstasy(5a)

I might try this near my entryway on a slightly smaller scale so I wouldn't have to run a another large pond pump either this or a small Japanese maple, maybe both!:) thanks for the idea; i love the sound of running water. Does it sound like rain/gutters overflowing? Just wondering, so long as it doesn't sound like a bathroom stall I'm good.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 5:07PM
splats

It has a very nice pleasant burbling sound. You can control the sound with how deep the pond is. If there is 8-10" between stone and water surface in hole you get a very nice sound.

I have finished my large (32x6) hypertufa millstone and it came out very nice. Still has to cure for a week or so before I can mount it.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Stone Yoga
Just reaching out for a new market. Local Stone Engraver...
Stoneman85
Mosaic stepping stones
These were last winters project. I am at a loss what...
unbiddenn
Pink Roses in Oils
Just found this one and thought I would post it. Image...
ceebee
Art Gallery
The National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden is the...
Harley099
Stepping stones
Well, it looks like traffic here is less than minimal....
CEFreeman
Sponsored Products
Kenroy Sherwood Outdoor Floor Fountain
Beyond Stores
Bolster Solar Powered Remote Control Fountain with Light
Lamps Plus
Designers Fountain 95621 Timberline Flushmount in Old Bronze Finish - 95621-OB
$69.50 | Hayneedle
Adagio Cottonwood Falls Fountain w/ Rajah Featherstone in Stainless Steel Finish
SerenityHealth
ORE International Outdoor Fountains 38.5 in. Brown Barrel Indoor/Outdoor
Home Depot
The Provence Three Tier Outdoor Garden Fountain with Lights
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™