Over Pruning Dwarf Weeping Cherry Help Please

JeffN365February 6, 2013

I did this back in November. I went a little crazy and over pruned my really nice dwarf weeping cherry. As I look at it now it seems I have a bunch of "stumps" I want to clean up as well. My questions are
1. Can I saw off the obvious stumps?
2. Is there a recommendation on how to treat the "wounds". I was thinking of some kind of tar to seal the cuts?
3. I want to repair or help mend the tree so it looks less like it's been chopped nearly to death can anyone recommend a way to do this? I was thinking of sanding the wounds but figure I am probably way wrong in thinking about doing that.
Thank you for any help, by the way the tree is doing fine as far as I can tell. It had gotten overgrown and what started as a little cleanup ended up as well you can see for yourselves.
Thanks again!

This post was edited by JeffN365 on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 2:03

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JeffN365

Here is the picture

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 2:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AnneCecilia z5 MI

If you are thinking that by 'sawing off the stumps' and 'sanding' (YIKES!) you can make the tree look like nothing ever happened - well, that's just a bad idea. The tree needs some of the branch collar (never, ever prune a branch flush with the main trunk) in order to heal over the wound. Let the poor thing be. It needs to heal as much as it can over your cuts. I bet when it leafs out it won't look quite so bad. Keep it well watered and hope for the best. Lesson learned, eh?
(Oh, and a good rule of thumb to keep in mind in future: in pruning, never remove more than 1/3 of the plant in one growing season.)

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
Help identify plant with little purple flowers.
I bought two of these plants. Are about foot and a...
lauranium
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #1
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
Camera effects for details.
I have a Sony mavica FD 88. I am trying to get details...
garf_gw
Some new flowers in my garden
Here's some of the flowers blooms in my garden.
vivekpatel
my piece of paradise
Monster garden
Angel_Hawk1975
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™