he plants everything together...

ilmbgFebruary 7, 2009

My older neighbor can't figure out why his garden doen't produce. He is an older(80's) Hispanic man.

When he plants his garden, he plants everything where it all gets watered- everyday- for long periods (flood watering). We have very alkaline soil and I think that is also part of the problem.

He uses manure (and wonders why I don't want any vegtable....).

Besides companion gardening books can you recommend any books or have any advice? I will have to be the one that reads the book and tell him what I have read.

Thanks for your help.

PS Do you have any favorite places that you order your roots, seeds, etc from? I didn't think much about the Burgess, Park catalogues.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crunchpa(z5Pa)

Try the 'New to Gardening forum'.....there is some good info there

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 7:56PM
ilmbg

crunchpa- Thanks- but I don't see where the 'new to gardening' is.....can you tell me please?
Thanks

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 11:46PM
stellar.bpo

PS Do you have any favorite places that you order your roots, seeds, etc from? I didn't think much about the Burgess, Park catalogues.

Lisa11

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 4:02AM
crunchpa(z5Pa)

Sure.....here it is!

Here is a link that might be useful: New to Gardening

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 9:03PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

I know how you feel (although I don't see where the man's ethnicity comes into play?). My front yard is planted with exotic plants (majesty palms, aloe marlothii, tibouchina urvilleana, kentia palm, cyathea cooperi...) while my neighbor's yard is planted with overgrown, invasive, all-too-common plants (Pampass grass, Chaste Tree, Rosemary, roses...) which get FLOODED day in and day out by their sprinkler system. They water even in the winter, which is when we get the bulk of our rain. His plants are ill looking, and disease prone becaused they are sitting in water so much. I would like to have my plants show, but the angle of the yards and the street make it to where their yard blocks mine out of sight unless you are standing directly in front of it. Seeing how it's their yard there really isn't much I can do except try to talk them into watering less and hire a landscaper. I wish you good luck and let's hope we can talk some sense into our neighbors!

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
My favourite markers in the garden!
I always use metal and plastic covered plant markers...
Alecia Bane
Accessible Gardening Win-Win
Here's a win-win for saving your back, gardening from...
Emerald-Oaks
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #1
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
my huge tropical garden
Monster garden
Angel_Hawk1975
Identify plant
Hi I need some help identifying this plant that is...
missmollyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™