Cucumber Transplant trauma

almosgreenthumbJune 13, 2008

Hello, I attempted to transplant or space out my cumber and broccoli plants. They were so happy and healthy yesterday and today they are drooping badly, the cucumber plant leaves are drying out. Is there anything I can do to save them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iheartroscoe(Zone 5, Northern IN)

Were these transplanted from seedlings started inside or were they always in your garden?

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 6:49PM
almosgreenthumb

they were always in my garden.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 6:54PM
bdobs

I have read that cucumber roots are extremely sensitive to transplanting

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 7:02PM
iheartroscoe(Zone 5, Northern IN)

They are very hard to transplant, according to what I've read. It makes me afraid to try them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Transplanting Cucumbers

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 7:53PM
macheske(6/7 NorthernVA)

Water them very well and often. They will take some time to come back but they should be fine if you water them often.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 7:55PM
bigfoot839(7)

i had the same problem i also mixed half cup hydrogen proxide with gallon of water and gave my cuke plant a treat in 2 days he was looking great again

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 3:04AM
carawaykara(7)

What does the hydrogen peroxide do?

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 4:11AM
almosgreenthumb

Thanks, I will try and let you know how it goes!

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 6:30AM
larry_c(z6 Stl. Mo.)

Ck, this out

CrAzY LaRrY

Here is a link that might be useful: The Many Benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 11:15AM
jodifromoregon(z5, central OR)

Well, I'll be danged... the things I learn from you folks! I never would have guessed that hydrogen peroxide had any place in the garden. Is it better to water with this solution, or spray the plants with it? I know tomatoes don't care for wet leaves, but right now I'm dealing with a newly diagnosed problem with thrips and a single plant (my Sweet 100 cherry tom) with what is probably spotted wilt virus. Do you think I could spray my toms with this solution (if done early in the day so they dry out fairly quickly) and it might help with both the bugs and the virus?

Thanks so much, Folks! I love this forum!
Jodi

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 12:30PM
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

You can try shading the transplants for a few days. Sometimes I set up lawn chairs in the garden so they will shade recent transplants. I, too, like to use the "extras" when I need to thin. I've found a few other things help.

-Transplant late in the day after the high sun and heat are gone.

-Add water to the transplant hole, slip in the transplant, then water again to settle the soil.

-If you are lucky, you can hope for an overcast or rainy day to follow your transplanting day.....or go out and transplant during the misty, overcast weather.

I hope yours recover well for you. I find most of mine survive but are a bit behind the nontransplanted ones. Transplants from cell packs usuaully have less recovery time after I set them out.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 3:37PM
fuzzy158(7)

i have found that if I water well when transplanting, and shade the transplant, I have much better luck. I use an empty milk crate to shade my transplants.

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 5:41PM
almosgreenthumb

I found the h2o2 to be extremely helpful and after doing some reading am using it as a solution in my water for all my garden. Although the stalks have recovered, there was too much damage done to the leaves to I will have to wait for them to grow new leaves... Biggest lesson learned: ask the forum before the damage is done!

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 4:32PM
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

Wow!
H2o2o in the gardening water to promote healthy plants...that is an answer to a question my dad and I have been asking all our gardening lives - "Why is it that a drop of rain water seems to do more good for plants than 2 gallons of tap water?"

We had figured that it was the chlorine in the water. That article agrees, but now I know why and more.

I can't wait to share it with my dad!
This will rock his world!

Going to mix up some of that "Good Health Juice" right now and dose my droopy transplants. I usually dose them with a diluted amount of MiracleGrow which does the trick for transplant wilt, but I am all for any NATURAL remedies any day!

Thank you so much!!!
~ sweetannie4u

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 7:57PM
drscottr(7)

Please excuse my cynicism but until someone shows me a real scientific article regarding the botanical advantages of hydrogen peroxide I'll save my energy. Be careful of pseudo-science on the internet. That article wreaked of opinion and poorly connected facts attempting to link phenomena and effect. I'll use plain old well water for now.

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 6:16AM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

I know it doesn't help you now, but all my Cucumber 'Cusino' were done with the wintersow method of sowing seeds and then transplanted to final containers in the seed-leaf to just emerging 1st-true leaf stage. Same was done for the Pumpkin that went to prepared hills. There was no transplant shock whatsoever! Have done this with cucurbits since 2004 with awesome success. I've never transplanting at any bigger stage as I've heard it was too risky. Hope yours will recover for you soon :)

As for Hydrogen Peroxide I know it breaks down into water and oxygen and has no harmful effect on the environment. Might not be a bad idea to helps plants recover. Who'da thunk LOL!

Found this info on ghorganics.com....scroll down to Hydrogen Peroxide Treatment for bacterial/fungal prevention/treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: GH Organics.com

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 1:09PM
jaijai96_gmail_com

Hey guys I'm a fourteen year old gardener who screwed up her cucumber plants and you guys just helped me solve my problem so thanks =]

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 7:42AM
More Discussions
Different greens?
My mother has been fighting cancer for a year now,...
appalachi
Needing help re: Adding Calcium in the form of Gypsum to my Soil
Hi All, Tis my first posting here. My peppers are beginning...
felin
Annual Fall Horseradish Project
Here is a photo journal of my annual fall horseradish...
soilent_green
Where is the best place to order cucumber seed?
I would like to order some of the long skinny cucumber...
smokey28777
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
Sponsored Products
Domino 3 Drawer Dresser - T420400000004
Hayneedle
Wusthof Gourmet Serrated Utility Knife
$29.95 | FRONTGATE
Rosle Crosswise Swivel Peeler
$28.00 | FRONTGATE
J K Adams Summit Collection Cutting Board - Martin - SC-MARTIN
$83.00 | Hayneedle
C and F Enterprises Providence Cucumber Bedding Set - CFID200
$133.99 | Hayneedle
Coral Coast Hubbard Adirondack Chair and Ottoman and Side Table - Dark Brown - 3
$199.96 | Hayneedle
elizabethW Collection Lavender Shower Gel
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Simpatico White Flower Bubble Bath
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™