Rose rebirth

flower.girl.bynatureMarch 11, 2014

I was given a single stemed yellow rose on valentines day . I didn't have a vase at the time so I places the rose in a water bottle filled with filtered watered. I was too lazy to throw the rose out when I noticed it had started dying. I was doing some cleaning over this past weekend and went to go pick up the bottle when I noticed the already dead rose had a growth on the stem as the picture shows. I've kept it in a well lit area but have not added anything to the bottle since the day I placed it inside. I'm excited at this point it appears to be a mini rose bush still growing on the side of the stem . I did however cut off the completely dead portion of the stem including the original rose . What is left is just the stem. I want it to continue to grow but I'm not sure if I should remove it from the water bottle or jus cut off the top so it could "spread it's wings". Can someone please give me some "green thumb" tips. I'd greatly appreciate it . Thanks in advance :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flower.girl.bynature

Here is another pic taken only 3 days after the 1st.. Awesome !!

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 11:30PM
garden2garden(z8 FL)

That's pretty cool. Looks like it's in it's own little green house.

I've rooted roses before, but not in water, although I've heard of people doing it. It will eventually have to come out and into dirt, but I don't know being in water if it would be best to wait till there are roots showing, or not.

I just wanted to let you know there is a rose propagation forum on gardenweb, where you might try posting your question (or you can just make a post with a link back to here).

Also, up at the top right hand side of any gardenweb page is a search box. Search for "rooting florist roses" and you will find a whole bunch of older posts where you may find helpful info. Good luck. Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: rose propagation forum

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 1:05AM
flower.girl.bynature

Alright thank you.. I'll check there . I've had a coworker tell me to just add some baby aspirin change the water and let it grow a little more. Another stated I should keep it in the bottle because it may just be accustom to the environment . I will find out thanks for the tip :)

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
Island Garden
Six years ago I started creating a garden at my expense...
DelawareDonna
Identify this plant please
Hi can someone please tell me what this plant is called...
rycooder
Camera effects for details.
I have a Sony mavica FD 88. I am trying to get details...
garf_gw
Can anyone identify this flower?
This is a cultivated plant growing in the Costa Blanca...
Juliettissima
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™