I just love Columbine

tngreenthumb(z6 TN)April 23, 2008

Such interesting blooms. These are the first few that have bloomed but there are more coming. Over time I think I'll collect quite a few of these.

(Click images for larger versions.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mitanoff(Z4b Ontario)

How do you keep the (is it?) sawflies away? I love the flowers as well, but those darned larvae once ate my plants down to the bare stems!

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 12:39PM
juanital(5b/6a OH)

Oooh those are purdy! So delicate...I tried a few different ones but never had growth except for Black Barlow. I love the dew or rain on their beautiful leaves.

Juanita

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 7:26AM
patsi(z7-S.Jersey)

Great pics...love columbines also but I did have leafminer problems last year(flowers were fine).
Mine in zone 7 are just starting to bloom.
If you want to look here are some from last year ~Columbine and Hostas

Patsi

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 3:49PM
tngreenthumb(z6 TN)

mitanoff: Never had any problems with them. Well no more than anything else.

Juanita: We just got the Nora Barlow from Spring Hill this year. Probably won't see blooms on it til next year. These are really putting on a show now. Unfortunately they'll be done soon.

But something else will be in bloom then, so it's all good!

Patsi: I see a few of those now and then on the columbines, but never enough to be a major issue.

I like your doubles. I need me some of those. Do you grow yours mostly in the shade or in more sun? Same question applies to your hostas.

Anyone ever managed to get native columbine (Tennessee here) to naturalize in your garden? That's my next goal.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 7:55PM
jeff_al

i had native columbine going very well here in auburn, al for several years and they were expanding their range into the woods. lost every one of them this year, blaming the drought pattern of the last two growing seasons.
i started with two plants and just left them alone, did not cultivate the area at the edge of the woods, and they took off.
will probably re-establish some more plants soon.
i like the flowers in your photos better than those of
a. canadensis...just not a fan of orange flowers.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 3:11PM
tngreenthumb(z6 TN)

Woohoo! Just this past weekend got a couple of native columbines at the Middle Tennessee Plant Swap!

Now if I can just manage not to kill them...

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 2:38PM
kiwiluvsme

Hello! I am up in the Chicago area and am trying to grow some Nora Barlow and McKana Giants from Springhill mail order. They are looking so far so good... do you have any suggestions for nurturing them along? Should I not expect them to bloom in a few weeks? I appreciate this forum so much!

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 11:39PM
aimeekitty(9-10, SW 18)

SO LOVELY

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
please help id this plant
My friend grew this cute plant from seeds that he found...
Steph5647
Plant Identification
Can someone put a name to this plant?
Nerwen
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #2
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™