neat spider

molossermomMay 8, 2013

I took this picture after accidentaly disloging the spider from the center of an orange blossom. I've seen these guys a mostly in citrus flowers and once in a rose. seeing them at all is challenging because what they do is sit in the middle of a blossom amongst the stiemens and tuck their legs back and up so they look just like the center of the blossom. They go a step further by actually color matching. kid you not. In fact the spider in the picture had already started to change colors from a much brighter yellow. The one I saw in a blossom in my lemon tree was purple and cream and the one in my pink rose was a light pink and buttery yellow. Its one of the prettiest spiders Ive come across . If any one knows what it is i'd love to know more about it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovetogarden(z4 NY)

That looks like a brown recluse. I'd keep far away from it if I were you.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 12:48AM
molossermom

Good advice ,,,if it was brown recluse.fortunately it isnt'. Images of what brown recluses look like are easily found on the internet and so I was able to rule that out right away. Plus my pic is a very very close up pic making this little guy look bigger than he is. He's only the size of a pea.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 1:44AM
molossermom

Good advice ,,,if it was brown recluse.fortunately it isnt'. Images of what brown recluses look like are easily found on the internet and so I was able to rule that out right away. Plus my pic is a very very close up pic making this little guy look bigger than he is. He's only the size of a pea.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 1:47AM
mariposa34

It's a crab spider! They are so cute!

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 8:00PM
bunger

Hi,
The Chameleon Spider looks like your spider and changes colour as you have described.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 3:27PM
amunk01

Hi, I realize this is an old thread, but I believe this is a whitebanded crab spider (Misumenoides formosipes). Their colors vary dramatically from specimen to specimen, but this is your girl. Its a great photo!
You will never find a recluse in the garden, especially not on a flower.
A chameleon spider is not actually a species, but the goldenrod crab spider is commonly referred to as a chameleon due to its ability to change color (which can take days/weeks depending on the color!) Hope that helps
Alexis

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitebanded Crab Spider

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 11:39PM
More Discussions
What type of fern?
My wife received this for Christmas. ideas?
mrmootsie
macbunny
my piece of paradise
Monster garden
Angel_Hawk1975
Sponsored Products
Bamboo Large Drawer Organizer
$7.99 | zulily
Glomar Flush Mounts 1-Light Outdoor Textured Black Ceiling Spider Cage Fixture
$49.99 | Home Depot
Modern Style Pendant Light with Amber Glass Shade in Bottle Shape
ParrotUncle