Need Ideas for my House

shajanMay 22, 2006

Please give me some ideas as to what to do with this front yard. I'd like to liven it up a bit. I'm thinking of a retaining wall in front of the window.

This is in Long Island.

Thanks,

Shajan

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yourpal(z6 NJ)

Right off the bat, that big picture window on the first floor is asking for a long window box. I'm thinking bright red geraniums would look great. Then, fill a planter on the sidewalk, either on the left, where the curve starts, or on the right, against the garage, but not in both places. You could echo with the gereniums, but also add something for height (grasses), and cascade something.

That would get you jumpstarted for not a lot of $$ or effort and would perk up your already cute house. You can refill them with mums in the fall, and plant some bulbs for next spring (or pansies).

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 4:20PM
shajan

Thanks yourpal. I'm thinking of a small retaining wall(planter?) in front of the window area. Will that be too much?

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 7:59PM
kal2769(Zone 8)

I don't think the retaining wall planter is necessary. I do like thw aformentioned window box. I would add a second coulmnar arborvitae or dwarf spruce on the right side of the large window to frame it nicely. I would buy a decorative urn and a spiral evergreen for the right side of the front door. Then I'd buy matching planters with decortive grasses and annual flowers for either side of the garage door. Good luck.
---Keith

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 10:57PM
shajan

Thanks Kieth, I like the ideas. I'm going to research building a window box now. Never thought of it. I'm glad I posted here.

Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 12:07PM
flourish(z8 GA)

You've got that lovely curving path leading to the front door that is just screaming to be planted. Bringing the plants out away from the house and around that curve will help draw the eye in to the yard.

Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Accessible Gardening Win-Win
Here's a win-win for saving your back, gardening from...
Emerald-Oaks
Camera effects for details.
I have a Sony mavica FD 88. I am trying to get details...
garf_gw
pls help identify
what is this plant?. im really lost. Thanks.
macbunny
Identify Plant
Hey, I grew this plant out on our deck this summer....
Kathranne
What type of fern?
My wife received this for Christmas. ideas?
mrmootsie
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Moroccan Leather Pouf
Serena & Lily
SomerTile 11.75x11.75-in Reflections Mini 5/8-in River Glass/Stone Mosaic Tile (
Overstock.com
Turner Leather Loveseat - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Chelsea Home Grant 2 Piece Sectional Sofa - CHEL1681
Hayneedle
Cream Distressed Pedestal Frame
$17.99 | zulily
Set of Four Kim Seybert Double Old Fashioned Glasses
$48.00 | FRONTGATE
Courtyard Navy and Beige Rectangular: 5 Ft.3 In. x 7 Ft.7 In. Rug
$104.95 | Bellacor
Kichler Lara Shadow Bronze 36" Wide 6-Light Chandelier