My first-try vegs & fruits pictures!

jodifromoregon(z5, central OR)May 28, 2008

Okay, not much to see so far, but here are pictures of my raised beds hubby built me a few weeks ago. I've done flowers since dirt was first invented, but this is my first try at edibles. :-)

First, my little Northsky blueberry, ordered just a few weeks ago. Doing well so far! I have two more miniature blueberries being shipped to me now.

And here are my raised beds hubby built me.

The strawberries are doing well so far:

More pics next post! :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodifromoregon(z5, central OR)

...and continuing with photos:

This second bed will have tomatoes, a red pepper, carrots, lettuces, rosemary, basil, and onions. Mostly just seeds and seedlings so far, other than the cherry tomato in the back left corner there (that one I bought potted, so there's a bit more growth visible):

And here's the back bed. That's a cuke in the "cage" on the right end, with 4 broccoli plants around 2 sides of it (and I'll plant more lettuces around the other 2 sides of it later on, as that area will be shaded, and our summers are generally pretty hot and dry). In the middle you can see 6 little corn stalks, and there are 6 more spots seeded on the other end.

...and here are my two little garden helpers, my girls Shady and Coco. :-)

Post your pics! I love seeing others' garden pics! :-)

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 2:23PM
ilikewinter

That's awesome!!! It looks great, I wish I had land like that so I could have a wonderful garden like you've got there. I've only got a balcony garden, but it's doing fine, considering it's my first year. I'm so excited! Here are pictures (I'm keeping a blog about it!): http://gardeningspot.blogspot.com/ I don't know how to post pictures in the actual message on here, or I would (is it HTML?).

And I'm especially excited today because I just ate my first bowl of lettuce (which I also blogged about). It was delicious! So much better when it's so fresh!

Congratulations on your raised beds and new fruits and vegetables!

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 3:36PM

Hey, that is a GORGEOUS balcony garden, and that salad looks scrumptious! :-)

And yup, I just used HTML to post the pics.

Thanks for the nice comments, too. :-) I can't wait to see all the seeds sprout and everything grow and develop. I know that first taste of whatever is ready for harvest first (looking like it will be a few strawberries) is gonna be SOOOO sweet. :-)

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 4:24PM
ilikewinter

Thanks! It's fun to have, and everyone thinks it's pretty humorous, considering my husband and I are just college kids (what the heck do they know about gardening? and... You can't grow an apple tree on a deck this size!). =)

Could you share the HTML code (how to do it)? I've tried looking it up, but all I see are HTML codes to embed in email. Do you host your pictures somewhere online to make it work?

Strawberries, yummm- I hope mine pull through. They've had a week of very hot temps suddenly spring upon them and didn't like it AT ALL. I am excited just like you, though. Lettuce is fun, but a fruit or vegetable would be heaven! =)

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 1:02PM

I actually have my own web site (selling my hand-crafted goodies), so I host all my pics myself on my site. The HTML coding, just remove the asterisks (*) from below and insert the actual link you need for your images. I inserted the asterisks so that the coding would post here rather than a non-existent image trying to display:

So if your picture is hosted on yourdomain.com and the image name is tomatoplant.gif, the link would look like this (but without the asterisks):

Hope that makes sense! If not let me know. :-)

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 1:46PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I should do more veggie gardening, but I've allocated most of my space to ornamentals. Veggie gardening was a big thing on the farm where I grew up. My brother took care of the cows and I worked in the garden. Our Grandfather was the slave driver who cracked the whip. He always used to say, "If I can't eat it, I don't grow it. Flowers are for girls and women". Different generation.
I'm surprised I'm growing anything at all. Some of it must have rubbed off. The good part. :-)
Nice garden BTW!

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 10:37AM

Thanks, botann. :-) I'd love to see pics of your gardens! :-)

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 11:25AM
joytwo1839(z6 TN)

BEAUTIFUL GARDEN ! I wish mine was as neat, but alas, it's just thown out there . I am trying to figure out the cucumber thing now about trellis - we always just grew them on the ground. Apparently that's wrong so back to learning.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 2:12PM

I don't think it's "wrong" to let your cukes grow on the ground, just one of a few ways of doing it is all. I got myself a really cool book and have also been reading up on various web sites, and apparently a trellis/caging is just another way you can do cukes. Since I had some of the cheap wire "fencing" stuff laying around anyway, I just folded 3 sections to make a "cage" for mine, mostly to conserve on space since my raised beds are only 4' x 8'. :-)

Post YOUR pictures, Folks! :-) I love looking at other people's garden pictures!

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 2:20PM
ilikewinter

Thanks for the help with the picture posting... I'm going to give it a try here:

Let's see how that works- should show a picture of the columbine I am growing (not a vegetable, but pretty nonetheless!).

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 3:38PM
ilikewinter

Guess not, ha ha! Sorry about that- I wrote:

(I did take out the asterisks, though. Just added them here.) I grabbed the picture location by right clicking on it, going to properties and highlighting "location". Hmmm... oh well.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
please help id this plant
My friend grew this cute plant from seeds that he found...
Steph5647
pls help identify
what is this plant?. im really lost. Thanks.
macbunny
macbunny
Camera effects for details.
I have a Sony mavica FD 88. I am trying to get details...
garf_gw
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #1
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™