Wow! What a Poppy!

tngreenthumb(z6 TN)May 7, 2008

This had one bloom last year, but nothing like this one. (And there are a few more developing!)

Perennial poppy. I think it was sold as a "California Poppy" but I don't know the species/cultivar name. Anyone know?

Oh, and that is a 5-1/4" board behind it in the first photo, just for sizing. The reproductive parts there are nearly the size of a golfball.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gracie_08

Beautiful poppy!!!

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 6:59AM
imrainey

Yes, lovely! But hardly a California poppy. An oriental poppy, perhaps?

Our California poppy is much simpler with a single petal color -- usually a bright orange but variations include near white, pale yellow and a warm red orange -- not nearly so much texture to the petals and open lacy foliage.

I think your poppy is beautiful and I'm trying to grow more traditional varieties in my garden. I've got a Shirley poppy that looks similar but has pink petals.

You can let the seed pods dry and, when they're fully dried and you can hear the seeds rattle around inside, you can sow them in your garden in the fall and hope to have a good display in subsequent years.

The wikipedia has a page with numerous pix that may be helpful. For some reason I'm not able to post the link to it. Just google "California poppy".

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 6:10PM
melrt968(u.k. scotland)

A very fine example of an Oriental Poppy (Papaver orientalis). I grow a few in my garden near Edinburgh (Scotland) and I have few problems. Grow them in a sheltered spot where the are protected from wind which damages the plants. After flowering, plants can be lifted and divided every 2 to 3 years. There is a wide range of named cultivars available.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 11:41AM
juanital(5b/6a OH)

Yes-an Oriental Poppy...A few of my perennials must be behind times! Mine are now getting their buds, lots of beautiful foliage though...Mine took a few years to really be nice, its also the same color as yours, Tn, pretty...I can't wait for the blooms!

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
Another Mystery Plant
I found a few of these growing along the side of my...
jeff_leites
Plant Identification
Can someone put a name to this plant?
Nerwen
What type of fern?
My wife received this for Christmas. ideas?
mrmootsie
please help id this plant
My friend grew this cute plant from seeds that he found...
Steph5647
Sponsored Products
Wescott Hand Towel - DUCHESS LILAC (HAND TOWEL)
$12.00 | Horchow
Justice Design Group GLA-8661 - Montana 1 Light Angled Wall Sconce - Square with
$290.00 | Hayneedle
JOOLA USA 48 Count Magic Table Tennis Balls - 44214
$27.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Senses Shag Chocolate-Teal 7
Home Depot
Virtu USA Bathroom Zuri 39 in. Single Basin Vanity in Wenge with Poly-Marble
Home Depot
James Martin 48" Mykonos Single Vanity - Cinnamon
Modern Bathroom
Sumerain Polished Chrome Waterfall Bathtub Faucet
Overstock.com
Mestro 16 Chef's Knife - Pott