Before ...and in the middle.

wbonesteel(7)May 17, 2013

The wife and I retired and moved to Southern Oklahoma a couple of years back. We bought a small fixer-upper on the edge of town. The landscaping was a wreck. Parts of it are still a bit...mature.

Within a couple of weeks of completing our move, we had the front yard measured and plans drawn on a few sheets of graph paper. Then, as the work progressed, we began the planting diagrams. The project is going exactly according to plan, but we're about six months behind our original schedule.

The budget, however, involves lots of shoestrings, and we've done all of the work ourselves ...and by hand.

When complete, this will be a fully edible landscape, with every square foot of the garden in production - except for the paths, of course. We're just about half way there. We have approx $2,100 invested in amendments, edging, plants, compost, with landscape cloth and sand as a base layer under the gravel paths.

We have approx. another $1,500 budgeted for the project over the next year to a year and a half. Remaining work: 1.) Build boxes around the raised beds. 2.) Purchase and install the remaining permanent plants. 3.) Remove the sod and replace with edible ground covers. The latter task may be scheduled for three or four years from now, depending on how I feel about things. The sooner I get tired of mowing the grass, the sooner the edible ground covers go in.

First, the 'before.' pic...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wbonesteel(7)

Now, for the 'after' pic.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:52PM
b2alicia(zone 5 Westminster)

WOW!!

That's incredible!
What an enormous amount of work!

Congratulations on all your progress!

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:28PM
wbonesteel(7)

Thank you, Alicia.

A little here, a little there, an hour here and fifteen minutes over there, with a couple full days tossed in, now and then.

Anyone can do it, if they have a plan and don't have to deal with a HOA or some such. The codes are fairily easy to get along with, here, too.

The first three or four moths the front yard looked like a royal mess. I was getting some pretty strange looks from people. What *they* saw was a skinny old man running around the front yard with a shovel and a piece of string, digging everything up. What I saw was something else entirely: Possibilities.

It didn't really start to shape up as planned until this spring. Now, it's *starting* to resemble the imagery I had in my mind's eye, all along.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:13PM
Lnorigb(9b/10a)

So lovely!

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 5:32PM
wbonesteel(7)

Thank you, lnorigb. I do appreciate it.

One of my favorite vews of the garden is from a nice, comfy chair under the cedar tree...while drinking some ice tea.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #2
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
pls help identify
what is this plant?. im really lost. Thanks.
macbunny
please help id this plant
My friend grew this cute plant from seeds that he found...
Steph5647
Sponsored Products
Eastwood Leather Corner Chair - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Droog | Slow Glow Lamp
$891.25 | YLighting
Leaf Monogram Coco Mat - 24" x 39"
Grandin Road
Accents Borders & Trims: Jeffrey Court Flooring Royal 1/2 in. x 6 in. x 7 mm
$4.20 | Home Depot
Besa 8192KR-SN Chalk Torre Wall Light - 8192KR-SN
$144.00 | Hayneedle
Organica Blue Rectangular: 6 Ft. x 9 Ft. Rug
$498.95 | Bellacor
Floral Overdyed Oushak Mustard Yellow 9'x12' Hand Knotted Wool Turkish Rug H5699
BH Sun Inc
Lavendar Tree in Clay Washpot
$44.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™