Waterlogged garden

crouchswJune 11, 2010

Hello,

My watering hose sprayer malfunctioned while I was away for a few days. My garden is swamped (I sunk to mid-calf when I stepped in to grab a squash). About 1/3 of my corn plants are bending over, some of them have the tops laying all the way on the ground. I also have green beans, squash, and watermelon. I am most worried about the corn; is there anything I can do to salvage it? Does anyone think the others will have problems? I live in southeast Texas, so the temperatures have been pretty high (mid 90's during the days), so it should dry out pretty soon (we're also not supposed to get much rain in the next few days). Any suggestions? Thanks,

Stephen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
forpityssake

I had a wind storm come thru one year and flattened all of my corn...in tassle. What I did was put the 5' steel fence posts in around the edges & ran rope thru the corn back and forth, wrapping it around each fence post. Some I had to criss-cross to get 'em to stand, but...when all was said and done, I had a BEAUTIFUL crop of corn.

Good luck!

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 7:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Stephen:

About all you can try right now is to prop it back up as suggested. Next year when your corn is about 12-18 inches tall, mound the soil up around the base of the plants. This will cause extra brace roots to form and the plants will stand better.

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Ketchup 'N' Fries plants go on sale
grafted tomato and potato plant goes on sale. link...
gridgardener
Row covers for warmth
Couple questions about using row covers mostly for...
joeschmoe80
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™