Angel's Fishing rod (pink) - close up

geoffhandley(Shropshire, UK)June 26, 2005

This is a close up of the previous plant, Dieram igneum. The auto focus on my camera must be good, those wirey stems were moving the flowers all the time.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

What a pretty flower.TFS
Kathi

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 11:10PM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

I love these.... I wish I could grow them here.... What are your average minimum winter temps Geoff? :)

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 5:46PM
geoffhandley(Shropshire, UK)

We generally only get a few degrees of frost and certainly no long periods of prolonged frost. It must be 20 years since we had the ground frozen much below a surface frost.
Cannot find this one in my reference books but the other species of Dierama that I found were all hardy to about -10 degrees Centigrade.
I have only ever found it in the Plant Worlds catalogue. It is really nice watching something flower from seed that you have never seen anywhere else. It was OK last year, the first year it flowered, but this year the plant has been fantastic. It has put out so many of those arching stems. It is much more showey than the common Dierama and is one of those plants that make people stop in their tracks and ask what it is.

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 6:37PM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

Well if you only get a few frosts and no "prolonged" periods then it probably wouldn't survive here. We ger regular frost throughout the winter. The ground freezes but not alot. But still it would probably be too cold. :)

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 9:17PM
gidders(Z8 UK)

Geoff

I've germinated a couple of these from seed but now they don't seem to be putting on much growth.

They are still in my green house which has an irrigation system so I wonder if they are getting too much water. Do they prefer damp or dry conditions?

Bookmark   July 30, 2005 at 7:38AM
flowergirl_VA(z7 VA)

The flower is very pretty, but I can't get past the stem - looks like a string of ugly bugs. *shivers* ;-)

Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 4:49PM
geoffhandley(Shropshire, UK)

Sorry Gidders but I have been on holiday. I am not sure about that. i keep mine just slightly moist. I think I would perfer to hand water them rather than irrigate automatically. The plants that seem to love automatic watering are my primulas. The primrose and polyanthus seedlings have grown huge while I have been away.

Bookmark   August 9, 2005 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Can anyone identify this flower?
This is a cultivated plant growing in the Costa Blanca...
Juliettissima
Identify this plant???
My cousin is renavating an older home on the Jersey...
Jacque0901
please help id this plant
My friend grew this cute plant from seeds that he found...
Steph5647
Accessible Gardening Win-Win
Here's a win-win for saving your back, gardening from...
Emerald-Oaks
Camera effects for details.
I have a Sony mavica FD 88. I am trying to get details...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™