Phallic mushroom

mucknmire(zone6 NJ)July 28, 2005

With the humidity of the past few weeks the mushrooms have been flourishing. This is one of the more interesting ones I've seen - a stinkhorn, mutinus caninus I think.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

We used to really laugh about these, but I haven't seen one in years. It's just impossible not to make the connection between this mushroom and, uh, well...you know!

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 1:10PM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

You're very bad mucknmire :) . I've seen the "other" "variety" but not these around where I am in NJ :).

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 9:43PM
bigack(z6 WV)

Yep!

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 11:25AM
jammeez1_hotmail_com

We had one of these "pop up" in our yard yesterday morning. It was even more phallic-looking than your photo. AND, it had...spurted! :p My husband didn't have the stomach to get rid of it, so I had to do so. But not before the flies had already taken away most of the spores. I suspect there will be more either very soon or in the spring.

BTW, the STINK in Stinkhorn is right. And it smells JUST like it looks. O.o

Bookmark   October 1, 2006 at 7:28PM
quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)

That one is one of my absolute FAVS! We discovered them this year and had something like a small grove of them growing in our mulched natural area. I immediately took photos and added to my Yahoo garden album. BTW, anyone know why photobucket.com wont load today after logging in? Is there a more reliable site? People I email links to from there are telling me that they cant load the links either.

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 11:00AM
mucknmire(zone6 NJ)

Jammeez, your description of the mushroom was hilarious. I can relate with your husband not wanting to get rid of it ;). Can't comment about the smell.

Quirkpod, I've seen many in the past month. This is the time for mushrooms here so no doubt I'll see more but not in a small grove. The most I've seen in one place is about 3-5. They seem to grow in wood chips or mulched areas.

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 2:28PM
joanmn

Well, I've never seen a mushroom like that before, I KNOW I'd remember!
JoanMN

Bookmark   October 10, 2006 at 11:44PM
debi9217

I had never seen one of these either. Until now, and sure enough they have popped up in my yard! I've enjoyed the huge variety of mushrooms we've seen in the last 2 years but this one is just gross!
Debi

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Identify this plant???
My cousin is renavating an older home on the Jersey...
Jacque0901
macbunny
Identify plant
Hi I need some help identifying this plant that is...
missmollyy
Some new flowers in my garden
Here's some of the flowers blooms in my garden.
vivekpatel
Can anyone identify this plant?
I grew this from a cutting given to me by a neighbor. She...
jeff_leites
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™