Do you ever stake your Broccoli?

mandolls(4)June 15, 2011

It rained for about 12 hours, and when went out to look at the garden, about half of my broccoli plants were leaning way over. They are big healthy plants, 24-30 inches tall and just starting to form heads (about the size of a quarter), but the stem right at the ground level is only about an inch in diameter, maybe less.

They are in very fluffy soil in raised beds (I dont need a trowel when I am putting in plants)

I put short stakes in the ground and tied up the worst of them. Is this common? or are my plants taller and heavier than they should be?

This is my first attempt at broccoli, so I dont have a personal reference point. When people photograph broccoli they tend to do it from over-head to show the good part, I didnt realize they grew so tall.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macky77(2a)

I tend to transplant all brassicas deeper than they were in their containers and hill slightly when I'm hoeing around them. My soil is quite heavy and I firm them in well when transplanting, so that provides stability as well. I would think your plants are just fine; that's how the plant looks at ground level, which is why I bury deeper for support. Nothing wrong with staking them if they need it. Next time you'll know. :)

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 7:50PM
beeman_gardener(5)

I remember my father saying he planted in 'firm' soil as they prefer to be firmly planted, which would prevent your problem.
So I tread the soil down before I plant any brassicas, deeper than they were growing.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 7:56PM
ltilton

I have mine staked because they're gowing in compost and mulched leaves, not soil. Not quite enough for the roots to grab on to.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 8:13PM
twc015(7b/8a SE Arkansas)

A few of my broccoli plants fell over this year after a wind gust around 50-60 miles per hour. I did not do anything to them and like all plants, they grew back upright without me having to do anything. I did have one plant snap in half though. I keep the soil firm around mine; I always walk on the ground right up to the plants.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 9:11PM
mandolls(4)

Thanks for your voices of experience. I was afraid something was really wrong. I'll try firming the soil around the plants, and will stake where I have to. I grow Dahlias, so I have plenty of stakes.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 6:15AM
More Discussions
mealybugs and leaf miners
How do you control mealy bugs and leaf miners on leafy...
kyrri
Experiment Results: Growing vegetables in different soil-less mixes
If someone are interested to follow an experiment to...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
pepper problems
Hey everyone! My pepper blossoms are falling off! I...
Ankjlkhu Bkjjghfy
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
Garden Huckleberry
Hey folks, I thought Id mention a new crop which we...
macmex
Sponsored Products
Belize Set of Two Swivel Chair Cushions in Bridge Off-White, Patio Furniture
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Medford 20" Wide Antique Brass Lantern Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
19'' Square Planter
$179.99 | zulily
Kovacs Alecias Necklace Modern Contempo Semi Flush Mount
1800Lighting
Bora Modern Swivel Fabric Chair - Charcoal
Zuri Furniture