when do you harvest spaghetti squash?

hunter_tx(7bTx)June 1, 2007

I am growing spaghetti squash for the first time, and I don't know when it's time to pick them. Is there a size guide, or other indicators?

Thanks,

Mrs H

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonefishin(z7bTx)

When you have the meatballs and sauce ready ?? I give up. When?

Someone that has grown a lot of it will be along shortly to tell you their favorite size. I think to let it get fairly mature looking, test the skin with your thumbnail and try a few younger and older to find what suits you best.

Meanwhile, here see if this will help some.
Just my thoughts.
Bill P.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 8:19PM
lilacs_of_may

Dang it, gonefishin! You stole my line! I was gonna say "when the meatballs are ripe."

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 10:54PM
gonefishin(z7bTx)

Sorry Lilacs, at my age that may be the last chance that I get, you are probably younger than I. ":^)
Bill P.

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 12:12AM
gardenwolverine(7b)

Well, from my minor experience last year, you wait until the attached vine turns brown. Usually it will be nice and yellow by this time. Then you cut it loose, and let it sit outside for several days until it cures and the rind hardens.

At least I think that's how it went with mine...

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 12:35AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Winter squash is usually harvested in the "fall". Not sure what qualifies as "fall" in Texas ;) but here I usually harvest it in late September or early October. Sometimes they are ripe sooner if the weather has been especially hot. Depends on your planting date.

Check out these sites for info:

Harvesting Winter Squash

"Harvesting your spaghetti squash occurs once it has reached its buttery yellow or deep orange coloring. The vine tendril opposite the fruit will be now positioned opposite it and will also be brown and shriveled. Another sign of maturity is the squashes' skins hardening. Carefully cut your squash from its vines, leaving two inches of stem attached if possible."

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Spaghetti Squash

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 11:58AM
koreyk

you can harvest it anytime you want. It is always edible. However, for storage it will turn a slightly color tan to show it is done. but you can pick early and it will taste the same. the skin is more white before fully done for storage.

Last year I Picked all mine early because the SVB killed them all and they all were just fine.

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 12:36PM
clockwork

Dangnabbit I love spaghetti squishy...mmmm

Clock

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 4:09PM
hunter_tx(7bTx)

Thanks, everyone! Mine are getting fairly large now, and I was afraid it would be overly large and "tough", but like I said, I've never grown them before. I planted seeds in late March, they tolerated a couple of frosts and a snow in April. They are very vigorous and seem to be tough plants, but some of the squash are already about 8-9 inches long- still white/green in color. The produced and grew much faster than I expected :).

Someone asked about Fall in Texas. We don't really have much Fall. We go from 100+ degrees at the beginning of Sept to cool spells coming in late September. Then it cools off slightly, but never really gets cold until late Nov. It's more like this: Winter consists of mild weather with occasional freezes, quickly warming up back to the 60's or 70's within a couple of days. Then Spring which is cool nights with days often getting up to the high 80's and 90's. Last June, we had consistent 100 degree days in the middle of the month which went into September. It's very unpredictable, but I generally grow a spring garden from March through June, and a winter garden from October until March.
Mrs H

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 10:14PM
Karen Pease

If you've never grown them before, and you don't have much experience with them, just a heads up -- you don't see the "spaghetti" until you cook it and scrape the flesh with a spoon.

And yes, pick it at any time. :)

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 10:36PM
darkcloud

just before dinner is best ;_)

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 10:37PM
kaityjanea_gmail_com

This site is soo helpful!! I have broccoli, spaghetti squash, tomatoes, corn and pumpkins all for the first time this year and this site is awesome! Thanks for all the info! :)

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
cutworms and diatomaceous earth
I had regular problems with cutworms and seedlings....
daninthedirt
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Sponsored Products
Felicity Runner 2' x 6'8" - CHARCOAL
$199.00 | Horchow
Replacement Fan Blades & Arms: Hunter Sawyer Art Sunflower Blades (5-Pack) 25681
$59.97 | Home Depot
Champagne and Ivory Bamboo Twin Duvet Cover
$125.09 | Bellacor
Basic Stand in Brown
$379.00 | LexMod
Missoni Home | Lobelia Pillow 24x24
YLiving.com
Breville Smart Grill
$299.95 | FRONTGATE
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Thorton 52 in. Gunmetal Ceiling Fan grey YG182-GM
Home Depot
Warehouse White 18-Inch Outdoor Pendant with White Cord