Powdery or Downy Mildew on Cantaloupe

lasparks63June 29, 2009

Can you guys tell me which one this is and the best way to treat it? I've also got a pic of a leaf with some green squiggly lines. I've been trying to figure out what it is as well. Thanks so much for your help.

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stephanieftx

The second pic is leaf miner damage. Not too much to be concerned about with that. Sorry, I can't help with the first pic, but it does look like some kind of fungal disease.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 8:05PM
tee_gardener

Hi Lisa,

It more than likely is downy mildew, as it is common on cantaloupe and watermelons (along with other melons). As Stephanie said, the second picture is a leaf miner, but not a biggie, unless it becomes an infestation.

Neem Oil will help with mildews, but it is also a pesticide so be gentle if using. The website below has more info on powdery mildew and leaf miners, if you need it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Downy Mildew

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 9:06PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Downy mildew makes angular lesions. Your plant looks more like powdery mildew.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 10:46PM
lasparks63

Thanks for the help. I've sprayed everything down with the following recipe:
1 t baking soda
3 drops castile soap
6 drops neem
1 qt water
Sprayed tops and bottoms of leaves and will continue every week crossing my fingers this will clear up the problem. I'm going to remove the worst leaves, but don't want to pull off to many at a time so I can give the leaf production a chance to catch up. I've got quite a few big melons I don't want to lose. Boy, am I learning a lot after my first year gardening!

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 3:11PM
karenrei

Why are you combining both baking soda and neem? I don't see a need for neem in the symptoms that you presented.

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 4:13PM
lasparks63

That's the recipe I found. I'm actually using the fertilome triple action that's a fungicide and insecticide so I can get rid of any bad critters at the same time.

I'm wondering how many leaves I can safely remove at one time so I don't overly stress the plants. I've got about 8 good size cantaloupes close to being ripe and I really don't want to lose them at this stage of the game. Any advice?

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™