Tiger Lilies, Oniyuri

plantfreak(z9aKyushuJapan)August 1, 2005

Japan is a land where flowers are loved, and the lilies are a favorite summer flower. Lily is called "yuri" in Japanese, and the 15 species found here can be seen fom Hokkaido to Okinawa (thatÂs a formidable range of climates, equivalent to the range from northern Maine to south Florida). Even the Easter Lily of the west is in fact a Japanese native.

The Tiger Lily, Lilium lancifolium, is a common plant in the west as well, but is in fact probably a Chinese native. It was brought to Japan initially as a food plant, but today is mostly used as an ornamental. Japanese plants donÂt form seeds, so they must be grown from dividing the bulbs, or by the little bulbs that form on the base of the leaves. This species is called "oniyuri" named after devil-like beasts with red faces called "oni". The closest equivalent in the west to an oni might be a gremlin, but oni are much bigger and full of mischief. HereÂs a large clump growing near my house.

A little closer:

Closer still:

If you want to read a nice page on Japanese Lilies then check this out. Of course many hybrids abound here as well. In spring bulbs are available everywhere at really cheap prices ($1-3 each for huge bulbs, depending on the variety). They are great plants! PF

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Lilies

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowergirl_VA(z7 VA)

I could hardly look at your lilies for gawking at your gorgeous mountains and mist!

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 8:38PM
CLacy2k(Cypress z8b/9)

Wow! Breathtaking! Thanks for sharing these! How lucky you are to get to admire these in person!

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 8:55AM
stimpy926

Tall and stately! Don't you just admire a plant that stands tall and strong, and doesn't flop over.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 9:15AM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

I can't wait until my clump is that large but of course if I don't stop trading them it will never get there! lol Stunning is the right word for them!

Nancy

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 5:28PM
hummingbirddaisy

I have these in both my front and back yard. Lilium Superbum, or turk's cap lily. I got them 4 1/2 years ago, and they spread like wildfire after the 2nd year.

If anyone has any pink, Iwould love to trade a few with you!

Blessings, Tina

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 7:22PM
Joeray(Z9 LA)

Your lillies are beautiful, your homesite is even more so.

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 10:19PM
enchantedplace

Thanks for the information. It is very interesting. EP

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 10:19PM
plantfreak(z9aKyushuJapan)

Thanks for all the comments. I do feel fortunate to live in a place that offers such beauty...of course the reality of modern Japan is just as strong here. When I photograph Japan I try to focus on traditional or natural subjects, but you must realize this all is embedded in a decidedly modern landscape composed largely of concrete, steel, and conjestion that is at first very daunting. I live on the outskirts of most of that, yet it affects the community I live in as well. The city is spreading.

Also, these are not my lilies. They are growing in a small private garden next to one of the many rice patties here. I spied them one day on a bike ride, and took these pics. The mountains in the backround are often shrouded in mist even when it is not raining in the lowlands. After a typhoon has passed the surrounding mountains are covered in the most exquisite blanket of clouds. It is very hard to describe, but the first thought you have is "wow, the world is really mysterious!". PF

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #2
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
Identify plant
Hi I need some help identifying this plant that is...
missmollyy
Plant Identification
Can someone put a name to this plant?
Nerwen
Identify Plant
Hey, I grew this plant out on our deck this summer....
Kathranne
macbunny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™