How big of a file for no pixelation on an 11 x 17- for scanner ?

cheerpeopleSeptember 20, 2005

I'm hoping someone out there can speak computer-eze in language I can understand.

I posted recently here about some scanner art of botanical content I'm doing. Refer to that post to see this art if it helps answer this question.

I'm able to send a file up to 10 M size thru yahoo to staples copy center and they can print a color 11 by 17 for less than $5.

Here's my question- when I take a 5-6M file (makes a great 8 x 10"- not sure if it HAS to be that big- but it looks great) and convert it to an image 11 x 17 - it now exceeds the 10 M limit of yahoo. I don't have a burner yet but it will built into our next computer purchase.- when ever that happens....

So how much M for a great 11 x 17"? I have found info that says a 16 x 20" needs 1600 x 1200 pixels- minimum ...but I don't know how to convert this unit into M or K.... and I don't have an option for 16 x 20" at staples anyway.

Thx for your help.

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

What file format are you using to transmit the image? What file formats do Staples support?

A 1600x1200 true colour (24 bit) image requires about 6MB of memory. This can be stored in a lossless format such as TIFF in 4MB-5MB. I find that to be adequate for 8"x11" although a high quality print should really have a few more pixels. I can see how your 11x17 comes to over 10MB. 300dpi (dots per inch) is recommended for high quality printing, which would give a 50MB file!

Saving the same (6MB) file as a JPEG at the maximum 100 quality setting requires around 2MB, and at quality 90 only takes about 0.5MB. So saving as a JPEG should enable you to shrink your file sufficiently. Quality settings of 90-100 are suitable for high quality printing. Use the CMYK option if that is available.

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Pls help me identtify these houseplants #2
My mom asked me to take care of these plants, but im...
macbunny
Can anyone identify this flower?
This is a cultivated plant growing in the Costa Blanca...
Juliettissima
Identify Plant
Hey, I grew this plant out on our deck this summer....
Kathranne
Island Garden
Six years ago I started creating a garden at my expense...
DelawareDonna
Sponsored Products
White Blanket Bag - Set of Two
$7.99 | zulily
Cayman Outdoor Multi Border Rug - 2'3" x 7'6"
Grandin Road
Safavieh Plush Super Dense Hand-woven Taupe Premium Shag Rug (9'6 x 13'6)
Overstock.com
Darya Rugs Barjasta, Beige, 4'10" x 5'10" M1740-532
Darya Rugs
Homelegance Rowley 5-Piece Gas Lift Table Dining Set with Storage Seats - Dark C
$599.99 | Hayneedle
Bow Black Copper Two-Light Bath Fixture with Amber Crystal Glass
$176.00 | Bellacor
Clayton Brushed Steel Two-Light Bath Light
$134.10 | Bellacor
Hand-crafted Solid Black Casual 'Ridges' Wool Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™