How big of a file for no pixelation on an 11 x 17- for scanner ?

cheerpeopleSeptember 20, 2005

I'm hoping someone out there can speak computer-eze in language I can understand.

I posted recently here about some scanner art of botanical content I'm doing. Refer to that post to see this art if it helps answer this question.

I'm able to send a file up to 10 M size thru yahoo to staples copy center and they can print a color 11 by 17 for less than $5.

Here's my question- when I take a 5-6M file (makes a great 8 x 10"- not sure if it HAS to be that big- but it looks great) and convert it to an image 11 x 17 - it now exceeds the 10 M limit of yahoo. I don't have a burner yet but it will built into our next computer purchase.- when ever that happens....

So how much M for a great 11 x 17"? I have found info that says a 16 x 20" needs 1600 x 1200 pixels- minimum ...but I don't know how to convert this unit into M or K.... and I don't have an option for 16 x 20" at staples anyway.

Thx for your help.

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

What file format are you using to transmit the image? What file formats do Staples support?

A 1600x1200 true colour (24 bit) image requires about 6MB of memory. This can be stored in a lossless format such as TIFF in 4MB-5MB. I find that to be adequate for 8"x11" although a high quality print should really have a few more pixels. I can see how your 11x17 comes to over 10MB. 300dpi (dots per inch) is recommended for high quality printing, which would give a 50MB file!

Saving the same (6MB) file as a JPEG at the maximum 100 quality setting requires around 2MB, and at quality 90 only takes about 0.5MB. So saving as a JPEG should enable you to shrink your file sufficiently. Quality settings of 90-100 are suitable for high quality printing. Use the CMYK option if that is available.

Bookmark   September 20, 2005 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Camera effects for details.
I have a Sony mavica FD 88. I am trying to get details...
garf_gw
Help identify plant with little purple flowers.
I bought two of these plants. Are about foot and a...
lauranium
Identify this plant please
Hi can someone please tell me what this plant is called...
rycooder
what's growing out of my compost?
Can anyone identify this plant that has erected from...
TiguanTom
my piece of paradise
Monster garden
Angel_Hawk1975
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™